Scale and resolution

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2013
Scale and resolution

When Texturing from photos how do I know how to tile the texture/ amount of repeats. I am trying to texture a concrete slab and the texture looks the wrong size.

Also, how do I know how big to make the texture. 1024, 2048, 4096 etc

10 October 2013
I've been working in post production for 4 years, and I've never use another resolutions except 2048 and 4096. It's enough for models for movies and commercials. But when i used to work in game development industry i used 512, 256, 128 and even lower.

My advise - use 4096 tga

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by MikeStoliarov: I've been working in post production for 4 years, and I've never use another resolutions except 2048 and 4096. It's enough for models for movies and commercials.

Errrr, not it isn't. 2k for film? Nope. 8k is the most common resolution for film textures, although 4k works if you split the model into more UDIMs.

To the OP, your question is too broad as the answer is entirely dependent on what exactly you're working on. If you're applying a texture to a piece of concrete, then you need to find a photo texture that's roughly the same size, otherwise you'll need to adapt it. Then, you need to determine your actual map resolution based on how big the object appears in the frame and what resolution you'll be rendering out to.

10 October 2013
Yeap man. 4k for films. I don't make one 8k texture for all objects. i make 1 object (even small nail) and one texture.

10 October 2013
Maybe on the films you've worked on, but you can hardly make that as a blanket statement that applies across the board. I've worked on one or two films in my time, and in my experience, hero assets these days have anywhere from 10-100+ UDIMs, generally with 8k textures applied to each (or double the number of UDIMs with 4k maps).

That's become pretty much standard in my sphere of experience these days.

Of course, for background stuff, scale down accordingly.

10 October 2013
Leigh, what's an UDIM?

10 October 2013
A UV tile.

10 October 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread