Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 10-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
EquityReleaseCalculator
portfolio
United Kingdom

Basic v-ray and 3DS max noobery

Hi there

I recently started learning 3DS max, I've been using Maya for a while and really like it, I'm nowhere near a professional level but I reached a point where I was creating reasonably detailed 10-20 hundred (unsmoothed) meshes that I was quite happy with and sculpting them in things like ZBrush, I hope to go into the games industry and am on a B-Tec lvl 3 course in game development (Equivalent of A-levels), does anyone have any tips for switching over to max? I need some help with efficiency more than anything, is there a way of selecting faces while using the extrude tool or to select multiple faces do I need to switch back to Q? How do I get things like tool settings? Is there a merge tool that uses midpoints in stead of snapping? (Uber noob time) how do I combine objects in Max?

Also at college we have V-ray and I spent a good hour and a half working on my materials but I don't have it at home, can I make changes and create objects in my scene without all of my materials being destroyed, even if they don't render right until I go back to college? I mostly want to create some objects with splines in the scene, can I make them in a new scene then import it just like in maya? On the subject of splines how do I convert a spline object into a normal poly mesh?

I know this isn't likely but is there a free way to get v-ray? I did NOT torrent it, but it didn't seem to work and gave me loads of error messages, does anyone definitely not have a better link to a torrent or other way of getting it. If you have a good torrent do not send it to me please, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks a bunch, Paddy

Old 10-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread