Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 09-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
ice-boy
Expert
b
matrix
sl, Austria

sea and ocean texturing

when watching the sea or the ocean you see some break up . some imperfections. how do you texture this? what kind of masks should i use? is this the reflection or is this dirt in the water?

thanks for the help

Old 09-09-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

Those are usually not done with texture as I understand. It's a bit more complicated than that.

- Best way usually involves hand placed emitter emitting custom foam-like objects.
- Easier way (but much more time intensive) is to do simulation. Realflow for example can generate white waters and foam.
- Probably custom written shaders... Renderman comes to mind.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
ice-boy
Expert
b
matrix
sl, Austria

thanks. i have an animation. a short flying and you can see the ocean. i was thinking painting some masks to make it look more random.

i was thinking having a mask to control the glossy reflection. sometimes with waves in the distance it look like the reflection is more blurry.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

Oh I see you meant the irregularities of the ocean itself... sorry I was thinking about other things.

Still similar idea though, there are ocean tools in most software these days that give you easy way to break up your ocean procedurally. Then, give your ocean nice image of sky with color variation to reflect, and the form of your ocean will give you those break up by itself.

Just some example. If you look closely, you'll see that the dark of the water got broken up by bright reflection from the sky. I don't think you need to go as far as varying the glossy map - fresnel alone should do the trick.

http://www.valkaari.com/?p=592

Old 09-11-2013, 07:23 AM   #5
ice-boy
Expert
b
matrix
sl, Austria

thanks i will try.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:54 PM   #6
Cyberone
SailingAtomSailingAtThem!

portfolio
Simon Bull
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

I created the image below by using alot of noise nodes of various sizes plugged into alot of attributes of a standard maya ocean (wave height,peak,wind...).

two important things I think:

environment/reflections.

and I like to put some basic sand/kelp texture under the water on a plane thats not 100% flat to mimic the seabed....

If its sunny and you have spec highlights on the water render a spec pass to tweak/bloom in comp...

Old 09-11-2013, 10:54 PM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread