Metal shader or texture…

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #1
Metal shader or texture…

Hi,

I have been trying to re-create this ring:

https://www.swarovski.com/Mob_US/en...udeCookies=true

But I just cannot seem to get the metal on the ring right… I don't know whether I should be using a Mia shader or to use a texture…

Can anyone help me out or have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Katie

Old 08 August 2013   #2
Anybody? Please?

Old 08 August 2013   #3
Yes, you should be using a .mia shader. Can you post your results so far, plus your shader parameters and lighting setup.

Old 08 August 2013   #4
metal is always done with reflections...so you need a gradient texture assigned to poly plane and place it so that it reflects on the metal. -Imagine a line from the camera to the surface and 90 degrees from this point, a second line which is the where the poly plane needs to be to create the reflection.

the shader should be pure chrome...so only reflection, with black as the diffuse. To determine how much diffuse the metal should have (how bright and whitish it is) you will want to know how the metal reflects pure black. Chrome/Mirror will reflect black as black. Aluminum will reflect black as 50% grey (guessing) so Aluminum will get this grey as the diffuse color.

Old 08 August 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread