Old 08-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
seanportfolio
Design Freak

portfolio
Igor Sinitskiy
3d artist
Kiev, Ukraine

How can I create theese surfaces ?

I want to have same results as shown on first pic (middle section with blck and gold material)

But thats what Im getting

Main issues

- How this (upper) business card can reflect light in a way it doesnt look like plastic (like mine)
- How can I make this laminated paper (or something) material
- My gold material looks like yellow paint (again like plastic) insted of gold print
- How this grey paper material (bottom one with silver letters) is done so it have this light reflection but still looks 0% glossy ?

thanx guys

Last edited by seanportfolio : 08-14-2013 at 07:38 PM.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
moneytakea
Veteran
portfolio
USA

What are you using to render ? Mental Ray, Vray or some other editor ? The reason why your getting that is because your assigning one material to the whole card besides the text.

The reason why it is not looking like if its not plastic is because it has TOO much reflection, you dont need more. Turn down the reflection in Mental Ray Material X if thats the shader your using. Also increase roughness. If you want varying textures and surfaces from text to actual card, consider actually modeling your text and assigning a different material to it, That way you can control how both of the materials react to light so that you can achieve more of the affect you are looking for.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
seanportfolio
Design Freak

portfolio
Igor Sinitskiy
3d artist
Kiev, Ukraine

Thanx for reply, yes Im using MR and mental ray arch n design material

I think its better to use blend material to define different materials for text/card
Also when I decrease reflection I loose all ligt bounsing off card and bump effect ((

Old 08-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
moneytakea
Veteran
portfolio
USA

If that's not working then you should look directly at the light it self then, I know blend materials are fine but honestly I'd think it would be a lot easier to define different materials doing them separately. You'd probably get a much better result.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #5
seanportfolio
Design Freak

portfolio
Igor Sinitskiy
3d artist
Kiev, Ukraine

thanx I will try that
now my main concern is to (first things first) simulate this black surface and this is ,as you mentioned , will be light tweak hussle

this is render without a post (light glare + DOF)

First goal is somehow to dublicate his definite higlight on a card

Old 08-20-2013, 12:39 AM   #6
Flapenko

portfolio
Chris
Taunton, United Kingdom

Thumbs up

First things first, the material or texture you have on that card is no where near fine enough to get the light detail and refractions at play in the example images you showed. There's a few options to approach this, either create some form of procedural texture which mimics that of the paper and then fake the refractions within the material settings or considering using subsurface shaders which will provide a more physicalluy accurate representation of the layers of cardboard, also getting some photo textures of paper in there would greatly improve the quality as I believe the second image is using them. There's a few good tutorials on vimeo of mixing and blending together subsurface with layered materials and a mia_material in the hypershade if you're interested in giving what I'm talking about here a go.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:39 AM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread