Old 08-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
jamesdunford
portfolio
james dunford
greatbearmedia
Leeds, United Kingdom

Displacement Map Pixelated

Hi,

I'm trying to add treads to a car tyre by using a displacement map in Maya which has been generated in Photoshop, but when I render out it appears pixelated (like a stepped effect) at the edges.

I've done a bit of research and found out this may be down to the resolution of the displacement map so I increased the uv snapshot to 5120 x 5120 and made it a 32bit exr image, but still the pixilation occurs.

I've created an approximation node and set it to special, bumping down the min subdivisions to 0 and max to 9 with a length of around 0.0001 (or as small as I can get it).

This doesn't seem to have any effect on the render and I am still getting noise at the edges.

The tread shapes were created in illustrator (linear pattern) and I copied and pasted them into Photoshop (as a smart object).

Any suggestions would be of great help!

Thanks

JD

Old 08-20-2013, 12:49 AM   #2
Flapenko

portfolio
Chris
Taunton, United Kingdom

Images are always handy here, could be any number of things. Someone might be able to see it straight away and help you before u post, but one of how it looks in render, the other of ur material settings and one of the displacement map in photoshop wud be awesome.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
jamesdunford
portfolio
james dunford
greatbearmedia
Leeds, United Kingdom

Thanks for your reply Flapenko!

I'll get some screen shots up...

One of the things I did was to swap the photoshop displacement for the Maya standard chequer board effect, just to see if that made any difference. When I rendered it, it came out perfect - all the lines were sharp and faces smooth.

This tells me it must be something to do with the displacement map I created in Photoshop. Just for backgrounds sake, I made it a 5120 x 5120 32bit exr document. The background was black and the detail is grey.

What I believe I'm seeing is the pixelation from the antialiasing on the image. I've tried using a Gausian Blur on the image - that works to some degree, but I have to bump it up quite a bit to achieve smoothness - by which point I've lost the sharp edges I wanted.

I've since bit the bullet and started learning Zbrush with the intention of generating my displacements this way.

I'll put some screenshots up to show what I mean,

thanks again

JD

Old 08-28-2013, 10:33 PM   #4
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdunford
I've done a bit of research and found out this may be down to the resolution of the displacement map so I increased the uv snapshot to 5120 x 5120.......

Yes but how big or small was the original one? If for instance it was 512x512 pixels and showing pixellation, merely upsizing it is no guarantee the pixellation will disappear entirely.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:33 PM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread