Ultimapper Issues (XSI), and other programs...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
Ultimapper Issues (XSI), and other programs...

Hey everyone,

I've been trying to get a hi-res sculpt to bake onto a low-res mesh so I could have a workable Normal map. I sculpted it in Sculptris and am using a trial of the Autodesk 2014 suite.

So far, this is what I have tried:

I tried to import both .obj files into Maya to bake them in there, because I've used it before and am used to that. However, when I import both, if I try to even select an object I get a fatal error and Maya crashes. Perhaps the high-poly is TOO high-poly? I dunno, but I can't even get it to work. :(

Then I tried to do it in 3DS Max. Having never used 3DS Max before, this ended up being just a lesson in frustration.

So I went back to Softimage.... my original program. I have my UV's already laid out and unfolded nicely, like this:

(I actually had rearranged everything much more nicely before, I'm not sure why it didn't save that, but at least the proper unfold is there.)

But when I tried to do the Ultimapper, despite making sure I Picked the proper UV in my Explorer, it's using this UV (which I had never made, but appeared as soon as I tried to use ultimapper)...

...and making Normal maps like this that don't put any information on my model at all.

I'm getting very frustrated and can't get this to work. I really don't want the week and a half I spent sculpting the hi-res, thinking the baking would work, to go to waste! :(

Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks a ton.

Old 06 June 2013   #2
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread