Texture Painting - General Question

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
Texture Painting - General Question

Lately I have been wondering; How does the last level of texturing work distributed for a production?

For instance we have a human head being sculpted and the sculptor can very well give details from the every basic to the pores on the skin, now if the model passes on to a texture painter then he/she will just have to hand paint the color map, isn't it? As all level of details has just been sculpted on the model.

Then, the method of projection seems rather pointless. I mean you could use the color map but the details are just going to collide with the details the sculptor put on the model.

So how does this relation between a Modeler/Sculptor and a dedicated Texture Painter work in production?

06 June 2013
It depends how well the studio is organised, really. I've worked in studios where very little communication took place between the departments so you would end up with clashing textures and such, but mostly these are avoided by the modellers and texture painters working from the same references. I'm not sure why you think that the texture painter only needs to paint a colour map though - spec maps, bump maps, translucency maps, and various custom ID maps are still pretty much always required from the texture painter, and in the case of VFX work, they're hand painted as little as possible; projection mapping from references, then cleaning up, is generally how the texturing process begins.

As with anything, constant communication here is key. In addition to the modeller and texture painter communicating thoroughly, the texture painter also needs to work closely with lookdev to develop the surfacing. In a well-run studio, this process is aided through a robust, closely monitored workflow and supported by an involved production team.

06 June 2013
Thank you for the detailed reply Leigh and my apologizes for not being clear on the post.

If you specifically pick up human skin (keeping creatures & hard surface away for this query).
Yes projection seems the best way to go about it, however what I am confused about is the 3rd or 4th level details (pores, fine crisscross wrinkles). If a sculptor has already put that detail, does it really need a texture painter to then project the same on top?

If a modeler has sculpted a detailed hand (say the palm has the lines), wont projecting a image texture on such model collide details (detail from sculpt and detail seen on an image)?
Same goes for an other parts, like face, etc.
If the details has been sculpted then that can very well be used as a displacement of bump map, right? So in such a scenario a texture painter would need to paint color and break maps as required, if I am not wrong.

Just wanted to know in general production how do they approach this kind of situation.
I realize the end result matters most, however would love to know the approach.

regards!

Last edited by govindk : 01 January 2014 at 07:31 PM.

06 June 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread