looking for some help with normal map cleanup

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
looking for some help with normal map cleanup

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone out there could help with a workflow that would help me cleanup normal maps inside of photoshop. I have these jagged lines on the normal map in photoshop and they unfortunately appear visible when the map is applied in maya.

Whats the best way to fix this? Most of the areas with this lines are supposed to be smooth and rounded areas so I'm guessing there should be some type of natural gradient/ramp effect that transitions between the blue and purple colors but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

06 June 2013
Not sure if this will be in help for fixing your normal maps in Photoshop, but take at look at CrazyBump software as it is the best choice for generating normal maps.

06 June 2013
Crazybump is only for converting photos and texture maps to a normal map. This is a fake, anf has nothing todo with map baking.

Jaggies in baking normal maps come from ray misses between the low poly and hi poly. B3st fix is increasing the resolution of the low poly so that it makes a closer fit to the source geo.

Otherwise, cleanup in photoshop just means going in and hand painting out the errors.

Last edited by MasonDoran : 06 June 2013 at 11:47 AM.

06 June 2013
Of couse CrazyBump is not for normal baking, but for generating normal maps from diffuse maps. And for some cases like brick-works it is a perfect tool for the environment artists.

06 June 2013
Yea I'm making a sniper rifle and am trying to keep everything as just one 2048 by 2048 texture map. I'll go in there and try some hand painting to see if its doable without being destructive to the map. Thanks for help!

06 June 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread