Looking for guidance

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
Looking for guidance

Hello, i'm a beginner in the 3D, i used to do some programming and i'm also pretty well used to Photoshop's interface, i've also some basic modeling skills (modeling a character is still tough to me but i can do some nice beginner modeling for objects)

I know that the textures are what show the real beauty and detail of the model and to be honest, i've no idea how is that done, i hear about Unwrap UVW, (i know materials, maps of 3DS Max), i also know that scuting softwares do the Normal maps

Should the whole model's texturing be in a one map? Unwrapping a box is easy, but how about A sword

Let's say you have 3DS Max, photoshop and a sculpting software of choice, and you want oachieve this

What would you do(steps to get that result)

I'd apreciate any information you think i should know to get in the right path

Thank you so much, looking forward for answers

Old 06 June 2013   #2
You're kinda asking the wrong questions, considering you don't know anything about texturing. Instead of asking "how do I texture a sword?", you should be asking "what is a colour map?" and "how do bump maps work?", and so on. In order to understand how to texture anything, you need to understand how texturing works from a fundamental perspective. Trying to learn things by asking about one very specific example, in this case a sword, won't really teach you much. It'll just teach you how to do a sword, and nothing else.

Whether the texture for the object is all in one map or spread out over several depends on how it'll be used - in VFX work it's common for multiple maps to be used for things (although not necessarily a simple prop like this), whereas in games it's more common to use a single map, because it reduces memory overheads in a realtime engine.

Old 06 June 2013   #3
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread