Painter
portfolio
Justin Beckett
Painter
Vancouver, Canada

Send a message via MSN to Warhead82
Zbrush to Maya problem

Hi there,

I am having a problem while trying to create a basic wooden roof shingle, its a simple rectangle shape, I made in Maya, I made sure to add the appropriate edge loops around it to keep hard edges after exporting back from Zbrush. My problem is, after I export back to Maya, the normal map is all messed up, and shows black artifacts on it, and sometimes stretched/smudgy looking lines from the normal map. The texture map is totally fine and not stretched...I did the same process with a wood plank, and it came out fine...and also with a tree trunk.

I believe I am doing the process right, but maybe I am not, does anyone know the cause of this?

Also, could someone explain to me how to get hard edge objects from maya, sculpt on it, then bring back to Maya...I know the process, but maybe someone's process will work better? -- Any tutorials, could help too...

My process:

- Made rectangle type object in Maya, put edge loops around the edges, to keep it hard.
- Exported object as .obj
- Imported into Zbrush
- Sculpted details and put to high subdivision lvl
- Tried 2 ways, uv mapped in Maya first, didn't work, so unwrapped with UV master instead.
- Made a texture map from polypaint on high subdivision lvl
- Lowered subdivision lvl to bring out a normal map
- Exported all together as .ma file (I tried to export out a .obj for object, then seperate files for normal map as well) Worked better, but not as well.

- Imported into Maya, and had the problem I described above.

Can anyone help? Or describe the proper process if I am doing this wrong for Hard Edge objects, like a wood plank.

Is it not possible to use Zbrush to Maya for hard surface objects?

Thanks!

Old 04-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread