CGTalk > Techniques > Texturing and Surfacing
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 04-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
Bruno de Coninck
Montreal, Canada
Send a message via MSN to bdec
Weird bump map problem in XSI...

Hi, every body! I'm writing you today because I have a problem that I don't even understand. It is the second time in one year I get it and nobody seems to know where it is from.

Here's the situation! I'm a student, I'm working on my final work for my bachelor degree and I really have to start my render soon.

So, here we are. I'm using an architectural material with a bump map in mental ray (I know, nothing impressive here, but I don't need more for this part...)

The problem is that every time I use a bumpmap in my character some weird edges appears in the bump. My UVs are correct (I checked it twice and asket to someone else to confirm). Some people asked if I had double edges, but I checked and double checked and no, I don't.

Finally, one last weird thing is that it appears ONLY when I add subdivisions...

Anyone can help me? I really don't understand and nobody seems to know what I could do. o.O Please, save me! :-(

Here are the pics...

Here is a render with bump. The problem is clearly visible around the center of the pic. I swear that there is NO seams here. My cutline is on the sewing line (I don't know if it is the correct word, English isn't my first language...)

On the second picture, I removed the bump to show that the problem is not from my UV or from a double edge...

Finally, the in the last image, you can see that with no subdivision, the problem disapear... But I can't render without my subdivisions... :-S

I'll continue to search on my side but I realy don't even know what to search! :-S I can't believe I'm the only one to get this problem in the world. In one year, it is the second dime I get it... :-S
Old 04-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
Bruno de Coninck
Montreal, Canada
Send a message via MSN to bdec

Ok, for futur similar problem :

I didn't find the orrigin of the problem, but I found a working solution.

It is long, but it works. You have to redo your mesh, alligining every single point to his equivalent on the orriginal mesh. (DON'T FORGET TO FREEZE!)

Then, to keep your textures, unfold, weightmap, etc. you can use a GATOR.

For those who don't know how to use it, it is verry simple :

1) Select your new mesh.

2) In the properties button on the left bar, select GATOR.

3) It will open a pick session, then, you'll have to selection your old mesh.

4) Selection the properties that you whant to copy.

Danger : If some of those properties are corrupted, it possibly can corrupt your new mesh so, keep a ungatored copy of your new mesh somewhere!

5) Clicke on delete in the gator operator to delete your old mesh and keep the properties on your new mesh! I hope it'll help some people! ;-)
Old 04-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #3
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread