Transfering texture from high poly to low poly.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
Transfering texture from high poly to low poly.

Hi. I'm kinda exploring my choice here. If I have a high resolution model complete with a color texture and a low res model with it's own UV, what application will be able to project/transfer color map from high res to low res? I kinda think either Zbrush and Mudbox should be able to do this but I'd like to hear some confirmation. I'm also interested if Mari is able to do this.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Panupat : 03 March 2013 at 11:40 AM.

Old 03 March 2013   #2
If the uv layout is different you can't just use the same texture without tweaking it in photoshop . The layout should be the same. If you have low poly and high poly layout of the model with border edges which match it shouldn't have any problems by using the same texture .

Old 03 March 2013   #3
ZBrush should be able to do it just fine. Max and Maya could probably do it just fine too, though it has been a while since I've done any heavy projections.

lmpi16 - I don't think the UV layout should be an issue if it's different, the color information is getting projected onto new geometry, whatever software he uses should compensate for any differences in UV layout.

www.nickmcelmury.com

"The best things in life are either illegal, fattening, or take too long to render."

Old 03 March 2013   #4
would it not be wise to adapt the low poly UVS to the high poly uvs? That way textures can transfer relatively seamlessly... though there will always be slight issues...

Old 03 March 2013   #5
Projections are there exactly so you don't need similar UVs on the low res and high res.

In zbrush you can transfer polypaint info but I'm not sure you can project textures the way you want. Mari doesn't have any projection features (would be nice). If you know mudbox, that's probably the place to go.

Look up "texture extraction" in mudbox

http://download.autodesk.com/global...n_us/index.html

The only problem is you don't get to access the projection cage (I think).

Good luck!

Old 03 March 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread