Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-06-2013, 02:04 AM   #1
Aazv17
Veteran
portfolio
USA

Help on Texturing Pipeline

Hello CgForum, I am making my first game character using both Zbrush and 3dsMax. Now, I am still making the form of the character and I do not have the retopologized version of the character yet, it's basically a sculpt with many subtools that are assets created in Max. So now, if I wanted to texture this character, do I have to retopologize everything and uv unwrap it and THEN poly-paint it, or can I poly-paint the high poly sculpted meshes and then bake that color information as well as the sculpted detail on to a texture later. So basically my question is: how would go about texturing this character that I have just made?

Old 03-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
olivierth
Looking for work

portfolio
Olivier Thériault
Modeler looking for work
Montreal, Canada

The best way is pretty much always to texture the high res mesh, not the low res. That way, the diffuse map will align perfectly with the normal map. Also, you can bake a light map or any map you can generate from the high res and project it on the low res.

When you said "retopologized version" you meant the low res, right?

Old 03-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
Aazv17
Veteran
portfolio
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivierth
The best way is pretty much always to texture the high res mesh, not the low res. That way, the diffuse map will align perfectly with the normal map. Also, you can bake a light map or any map you can generate from the high res and project it on the low res.

When you said "retopologized version" you meant the low res, right?

Thank you, I meant the low poly game character retopologozed version, not thr sculpt, but since you can bake the diffuse the same as the normals and light map then I,will what you said .

Old 03-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread