Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 01-04-2013, 02:11 AM   #1
Jeremy Avery
Texture Artist
Fresno, USA
Texture artist career

Hey everyone,
I have a question for anyone working in the industry that has a family. My wife is under the impression that getting a job and keeping it in the VFX industry while at the same time raising a family is tough to do. From what she has read job contracts are short, and the artist moves a lot from studio to studio. How true is it? Is it possible to work in the VFX industry and have a steady home life? Thanks

Old 01-04-2013, 02:57 AM   #2
CGSociety Staff
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
It totally depends. In my own career, I've worked at quite a lot of studios, but haven't had to move to a different city since moving to the UK, because there are loads of studios in London. In the US, if you live in LA and you're good, there are quite a lot of studios there to work for. Same in San Fransisco. Texture painters aren't as common as modellers, animators and some other roles, so it's perhaps a little easier to stick to one shop for longer. Yes, contracts tend to be project-based, but if the studio has more jobs lined up, they'll keep you, simply renewing your contracts. I have friends at places like ILM who have been there for yeeeaaaars.

I also have lots of friends and colleagues in VFX who have kids, and they manage just fine. Even if you end up having a gap between contracts, VFX pays pretty well, especially once you get to senior level like myself, so you can pad your savings account while you're working in case you have a dry patch. I've been on a long break myself but am living on savings because I've always been prepared for breaks in case they happen. I could probably go find work in a small studio, but I prefer only working for the bigger places (not because I'm a snob, but because smaller studios tend to involve longer working hours and I don't do that), so I can afford to bide my time until something else comes along. That's how it works, really. This, incidentally, is the first time in my entire 13 year career in VFX that I've been in a long dry spell - I've always previously been able to jump from studio to studio without gaps.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:20 AM   #3
Jeremy Avery
Texture Artist
Fresno, USA
That makes me feel a lot better thank you very much for the insight.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:20 AM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread