MARI texture quality

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #1
MARI texture quality

Hi.
I need to project some highres texures (8K) onto a lowres model. It seems there is a difference in the quality of texture depending on zoom level/on-screen texture size. So if I want to bake every bit of pixel information from the paint buffer image into my texture, I need to be zoomed in really, really close. So paintbuffer/texture quality is relative to screen space?

Best,
tark

Last edited by tarkovsky : 12 December 2012 at 03:36 PM.

Old 12 December 2012   #2
how much resolution does the texture on your model have...
if you use an 8k paint buffer you need at least several 8k maps on your mesh...

Old 12 December 2012   #3
I have only one 16K map on model. I can get desired resolution in texture map, but only if I zoom in a lot. But I can try splitting it up...

thanks.
t

Old 12 December 2012   #4
mari is using an LOD system during texturing... you wont get the full texture resolution all the time in the viewport... i would check my textures in the final render not in the mari viewport....

Old 12 December 2012   #5
Yeah ok. Thing is, the project is a real world sculpture made up of printed facets. Each facet is a polygon in the model. So to get the proper resolution in texture map, as the sculpture is quite big, I need the same level of detail in the texture map as the photos/images used for painting.
I thought there might be some way of having a "image pixel" to "texture map pixel" realtionship, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Biggest problem of paint really close up, is not being able to use the morphing toolset etc properly.
I realise this wouldn't normally be an issue in animation etc.

thx
t

Old 12 December 2012   #6
Originally Posted by tarkovsky: So paintbuffer/texture quality is relative to screen space?

Yes. If you want to project an 8K image (which covers your entire model) in one go then you'll need an 8K paint buffer (at least). If you zoom in on the 8K image and paint closer to the model then you can step down to a smaller and faster paint buffer (2-4K).

Old 12 December 2012   #7
Originally Posted by earlyworm: Yes. If you want to project an 8K image (which covers your entire model) in one go then you'll need an 8K paint buffer (at least). If you zoom in on the 8K image and paint closer to the model then you can step down to a smaller and faster paint buffer (2-4K).

Just that we are clear: My paintbuffer is an 8K image, but of course my screen is not 8K...

t

Old 12 December 2012   #8
Originally Posted by tarkovsky: Just that we are clear: My paintbuffer is an 8K image, but of course my screen is not 8K...

t

Hi,

It sounds like you're working on a really interesting project. Can you drop support@thefoundry.co.uk an email and we can help you out 1-1?

I think that projectors might help you out here as they can project upto 32k without resolution loss.

Jack

Old 12 December 2012   #9
Woohoo! The projector technique works! And thank you very much for the offer. I run into any problems, I will drop a mail, and I'll try to remember to send some photos.

t

Old 12 December 2012   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread