CGTalk > General Techniques > Texturing and Surfacing
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 11-21-2012, 05:55 AM   #1
zestken
portfolio
Pravas Kumar
Hyderabad, India

Send a message via Yahoo to zestken
Few Doubts With Displacement Mapping.

Hi everyone, I've been applying a displacement map(using image) to this object and rendering using Mental Ray but I'm not able to achieve the desired results.

Below is the object I'm rendering and what I'm trying to achieve through displacement map.[Shown applying a bump map]

My first question is whether or not can we use the bump map as displacement to get the same result as above? If yes how?

So went ahead painted the rocks to pull out individual shapes. When applied, I experienced a few stretching but able to fix it using Mental Ray approximation editor. I dunno why was that as my UV's are alright and the stretching is visible in just particular area. Could any one please explain this? [please refer to the image below]

After the rocks were done, I decided to convert the image to bring details to the above image. And here I'm stuck with the problem which I'm assuming could be the affect of above mentioned reason. [please refer to image below]

Please Help Me Out Guys. Thanks.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
Cooper4D
Jürgen Strumberg
Germany

AFAIK the displacement subdivides the geometry a few times which is adjustable somewhere. I guess your model has some big faces in the problem area. After the given iterations of subdividing these faces are still to big...... maybe. You could try to subdivide them manually or use a subdivide modifier.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
zestken
portfolio
Pravas Kumar
Hyderabad, India

Send a message via Yahoo to zestken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper4D
AFAIK the displacement subdivides the geometry a few times which is adjustable somewhere. I guess your model has some big faces in the problem area. After the given iterations of subdividing these faces are still to big...... maybe. You could try to subdivide them manually or use a subdivide modifier.

Thank you Sir, I just wonder how come that didn't cross my mind. Your guess is absolutely correct. The geometry does have some large faces specifically in that area. I was just counting on the approximation editor to do that job and didn't knew it takes a little on our part too..

Thanks again.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread