Bad surface scattering with Vray metal

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
Question Bad surface scattering with Vray metal

Hey all,

I'm getting some weird scattering with a copper material in Vray. I'm really new to Vray, so I figure it's probably something really simple. Additionally, if this is in the wrong subthread, please excuse my 'newness' and a mod should feel free to move it. Does anyone know how to go about fixing it just by looking at it?

Thanks ahead of time,

- Jate -

Old 10 October 2012   #2
picture doesnt work here?

*edit: ah ok, i copied it in the adress bar and now i can see the picture.

The pictuere is not verry clear and im not sure what you are refering to but the noise is most probably generated by the light emmiting spirals inside the refractive tubes. Use more samples for those emmiters.

Last edited by CHRiTTeR : 10 October 2012 at 11:43 PM.

Old 10 October 2012   #3
I realized after I'd posted the image that because I don't have any previous posts, I don't have permissions to post images yet. Sorry about that.

I figured out that the initial scattering problem was actually because I had "Trace Specular" checked in my metal material.

I'm getting a different problem now with my lights (more specifically, a luminance texture passing through a glass texture); the light is doing a similar scattering effect that my metal texture was doing now. Rather than having smooth light where it hits other surfaces, it shows up in patches on different areas. 'Uping' my GI helped a little, but it's still pretty bad, and definitely ruins the realistic look I've got going with the rest of the render.

I'll post a photo after this post gets validated, since I won't have permissions to do so until then. Can anyone explain this just based off the description though?

Thanks much for your time.

Old 10 October 2012   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread