Complete Beginner At Transfer Maps

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
Question Complete Beginner At Transfer Maps

Hello. I am currently working on a simple earbud. I've already finished the modeling, and it gave me no problems, but now I moved on to texturing and it's proving difficult.

The part giving me the most trouble is the grille(?) in the center of the earpiece.

This

I've tried using the Maya cloth texture, but my main goal of this project is realism, and I want each of the individual threads (I'm not sure what the proper term is) of the "netting" to be shiny and responsive to light (just like real metal).

I'm guessing the best way of achieving this effect would be to use transfer maps? If so, how would I go about this? I only know how to bake a simple normal map, and that's about it. I have no idea how to add color etc.

Could somebody briefly explain the process to me, please?

Thank you in advance.

Note: The earbud in the picture is only an example. I'm using different earbuds as a reference.

Old 10 October 2012   #2
You could use a displacement maps, this is pretty much what i would aim for.

Old 10 October 2012   #3
Model it using geometry and depending on the software you use, turn this geo into a displacement map, one slot for displacement and color etc..etc etc.

But if your heading towards realism, why not model the "whole thing".

Personally i would give this option a try, since by the look of your ref image i can easily see this accomplish with no problem with a mesh.

Old 10 October 2012   #4
If your going for total realism, you need to model out the woven mesh with curves and extruded geometry. It sucks, but its the only way sometimes in the world of product rendering. I've had to do renders before at like 14K by 6K of hand woven items, and I've had to draw curves to follow the stitching exactly like the real product.

Its the difference between "That looks pretty good for 3D", and "That photographer did a great job".

Try making one curve that wiggles up and down, and that maybe contiunes that pattern for 50 iterations. Make it renderable, and give it at least 6 polys for diameter. Then instance array that over about 20 or 30 times. Offset every other curve to get the weave started. Then duplicate your whole array again, and turn it 90 degrees, and move it into place so the weave is correct.

-AJ

Old 10 October 2012   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread