Maya version of this 3ds Vray cloud shader?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
Maya version of this 3ds Vray cloud shader?

I'm trying to create a cloud shader exactly like this one:

http://vray.info/tutorials/vrayenvfogclouds/

but for maya. For the life of me, I can't figure it out. I've tried all sorts of 3d-projections. The closest I get is with a solid fractal which gives me the individual blobs, but they're perfectly round and I can't figure out a way to distort them. One would think the Cloud node would be perfect for making CLOUDS, but no it seems to be the worst option.

If anyone can offer a way to get the same result in the link above, it would be super appreciated.

Old 10 October 2012   #2
I'm sure the technique can be applied. Not sure if Maya's noise can produce similar results tho. The way you apply vray fog in Maya is a little different. First you give your polygon a vray shader. Reduce the material's opacity to 0. Then you go to that shader's shading group and add vray environmental fog to the volume slot. You could probably plug a 3D noise into the fog's density and see what happens.

Old 10 October 2012   #3
Thanks for the reply. I probably should have explained my setup. I have a default mtl with 0 opacity for the surface material and the environment mtl plugged into the volume slot. I then have a volumetric noise with "alpha as luminance" checked, in the density.

The best i can do is this:
Left is a short cube 100x10x100, Right is a sphere radius of 50

I dont seem to have any control over seperating the clumps without losing the irregular shapes. Any ideas?

Old 10 October 2012   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread