how to make a white fur

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #16
Sorry my bad I made the file private. Try now I think you can download it.
There is no tutorial, I just made it quickly as you can see in the maya file.

Old 11 November 2012   #17
thanks lazzhar for the quick reply.
looks like today is my lucky day. i am gonna check the setting and try it on my own project.
right now it looks like this.

Old 11 November 2012   #18
tweak tweak and tweaking
but

Old 11 November 2012   #19
Is there a chance I can have a look at your file?
I am on maya 2010 so save the file as ma please.

Old 11 November 2012   #20
it will be gr8. right now i am using maya 2011 and thanks for pointing me save as a ma file.
looking forward to your reply.
it takes 5min to render. i used two hair system one for the body and one for the face.
i gonna email you this file right now
thanks for your reply and i really appreciated.

Old 11 November 2012   #21
This is the best I can get.
I do think you still need to spend some time combing the fur with the direction of the body like on the chest and face.. also I see your model is very low poly, maybe smoothing it and make it more rounded would help.
As for lights please check carefully the setting in my previous file. You need detailed shadows activated and put your lights carefully. Start with one light as suggested earlier, if you like it add a second one fill light then a kick(from the back). In my scene I didn;t name them but you can guess from their order.

Old 11 November 2012   #22
looks very nice

sorry for my obvious mistakes like low poly and not so good combed. i did import your lights in my scene but my model was too big and i have to resize it and adjust the fur again
but
i am gonna try stepwise just like you said (put one light and tweak settings and then another also smooth and comb)
the big problem for me is that i don't know which part of setting i have to focus.
i assume its a same setting which you did for your model ?
thanks gain lazzhar.

Old 11 November 2012   #23
You have to keep it simple.
Add a spot light, aim it very well to your subject as a key light( check any tutorial on 3 point lighting), enable shadow map, then down in mental ray change shadow map Format from "Regular Shadow Map" to "Detailed Shadow Map" . That's all.
Will upload the scene file of the latest render in few minutes.

Old 11 November 2012   #24
that would be gr8 if you upload it and yes you are right about 3point lights and i did search some tutorials and i am gonna do with my own and see how far i can go.

Old 11 November 2012   #25
update

it came up with this right now. thanks lazzhar cause 99% of light settings is yours.
i didn't smooth and comb it right now but i'm gonna do this.

Old 12 December 2012   #26
animation stage

thanks guys for your help and yes i need little more favor about shave dynamic speed.
so there is a video and the problem is that the fur moves very fast which is good for hair but not for fur because naturally fur doesn't move that fast.

https://vimeo.com/54759262

Old 12 December 2012   #27
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread