Texturing Workshop Part 5

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2002
Hmmm.... when I am texturing, I usually use a 3 point light setup
Basically I position 3 lights around the object ar varying intensities so that any flaws and all details will show up clearly

08 August 2002
does anybody else have different workflow?

08 August 2002
Thumbs down awsome

I think that she is wicked for letting us all in on some really good basics.
I am wondering if I am going to have to go back to school or something.......can you learn all of this from books??? or the interent???
I am learning texturing and i am finding it to be the most challenging part of 3d. There is soo much to learn.
Anyone know any really good books?
I want photorealism.

My Evil Female W.I.P!!!

08 August 2002
Okay all.. per Leigh's approval, I have a PDF for this.. please email me if you want it.. it won't let me attach it here..

email to : dave@voygr.com

Thankee.. (Also in DOC format)
( I have all of them in PDF/DOC as well)

08 August 2002
Try zipping it up and attaching it.

08 August 2002
Quote: Originally posted by KEKS
does anybody else have different workflow?

I render into different layers and do the adjustments in Photoshop. I do that more for getting the right colors and intensities with lighting, but it works for texturing too.

Another thing I do is I print an angle of the mesh really lightly, then draw on top of that. The result is hand-drawn textures. Eventually when I get a look I like, I take it to Photoshop and start finding elements to paste on top of the drawing.

08 August 2002
hot spots are infact reflections of light source but we cant see light source reflection because it got highly diffused.

08 August 2002
Nope.. file is too big.. Sorry..

08 August 2002
is adding spec/refl map a "must"? although the object is not shiny?

since every object is reflecting light, so we must add?

(because sometimes i m pretty lazy to add )

08 August 2002
There is really no such thing as a 'must' in 3D. The biggest most important thing you can do is consider it. Just be careful, though, because there are very few things on this planet that are 'matte'.

However, a shiny object may not necessarily have a specular reflection when photographed a certain way. I saw a photo of a wine-glass once that had specularity, but no reflections. How'd they do that? Simple: The photographer surrounded the wine-glass with black (tarps maybe?) so that no light was projected on the wine-glass to reflect other than the studio light. Interesting effect, really.

So there's a case where a reflective object didn't have a reflective property. (Much easier to do in CG than in real life...)

Here's my best advice: It's okay to not use specular/reflections in a given object, but be prepared to use them in unusual scenarios. A matte object will look shiny if it's wet, for example. Don't just leave it off all the time because it's not supposed to be shiny. (That's why i said the most important thing you can do is put consideration into it.)

One other point: The more attributes you assign to an object, the more complex it is, no matter how subtle the detail. Subtlety can sometimes make a bigger difference than the big details. One of the most convincing factors of the Toy Story movie, for example, is that nothing is perfectly placed in perfect perpendicularity. That is more important than say radiosity.

08 August 2002
i can put the pdf/doc n my webspace. no traffic limits, plenty of space. send it to my mail and i'll post the link: martrash@terra.es

08 August 2002
Leigh, I have a question for ya:

I recently figured out how to do a Photoshop trick that allows one to seperate the color channel from the diffuse channel of any given image. The idea being you can texture an object with a color image and a diffuse image and get exactly the image you started with back out of itat 100% lighting. Is the info on how to do that of interest to you?

08 August 2002
Yeah, Nanogator - that sounds really interesting
Post it in the diffuse workshop thread - Diffusion Workshop

08 August 2002
Here it is, folks:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.ph...2078#post172078

Leigh, I'm particularly curious what you think of it, particularly if this process is of use to you. I haven't done much texture work lately so I'm curious what somebody who does a lot of it thinks. I was tickled when I got this technique working.

08 August 2002
I think that some, um, beginners, do not understand how the program extrapolates how reflective something is from a map. Eg. In the reflect map, do I put in a picture of my room or do I put in a grayscale map?

The different ways diffuse, reflect, and environment map slots are used are a bit confusing when starting out.

[I know, but I'm sure you could explain it so succinctly and eloquently, as you always do ]

Thread Closed share thread