NEW 3D Texture extraction software from 2 photos.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2010
One annoyance with photogrammetry meshes is the stretched pixels in the colormap you get wherever the surface is perpendicular (or nearly so) to the displacement direction. I know this is not easy to solve, replacing the pixels with new data, but it would be helpful if your tool generated a mask that represents the derivative, so I could add detail there in another program. Like I might use an automated perlin dUdV function to add randomized detail, masked to the areas with extreme slope.

Curious about the tilable texture option. Any details? Photo Sculpt could be very useful for environment artists.

Do you support floating point output? 8bit grayscale is OK sometimes for displacement, but often I need more precision. Would also be helpful to set some options for normalmaps, like posX vs. negX and posY vs. negY.

01 January 2010
Perhaps instead of doing more than 2 photos for now, you could take 2, turn it, take 2 more, etc. Then merge the meshes together with something like Mesh Lab or probably even easier in 3D-Coat. Of course then the texture wouldn't work but you'd get a full model.
Sculpt first, Polygons later

01 January 2010
To Eric: Thanks for your very precise questions

Stretched pixels: you have a point: This is so true that I try to avoid this situation at the shooting stage by shooting at objects frontally (the first photo). Sometimes that cannot be avoided and manual rework is the only way. At least you have something good to start on.

Adding derivative filter: well, that's relatively easy to do but I fear it won't work, I've tried many functions like that too, you'll be overfiltering the good stuff too.

I note your need for floating point depth map output. I think that can be usefull too but what software can read that today, do you know? Do you mean 16bit tiff?

My normal maps cannot be inverted now, but that shouldn't be a big deal to add an option. Do you confirm you use that, really? What's the software that makes you trouble? It has abnormal normals? :o)

Tileable option : You're right it's really a key feature. I'm very fond of this function that took me a few months to setup correctly. It's a one click function with a "mix" option so you can vary the intensity of the tiling effect. That's all 3D and it's I think a "never seen before". Oh yes I confirm usefullness to environment people (and they confirm that too).
For more information:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ1RD88sepc

To Philnolan: I agree, you put it very well. It depends on subject though, it's doable if it's a simple shape only. A house would be perfect, snap facades and stuff.

To Magnus: yes you're right, let's be positive, it might be for a future development. I hoped my explaination made sense.

01 January 2010
16bit TIFF would be good. Many image editing and rendering tools can use this format, for me that means Photoshop and 3ds Max. EXR is another common float format.

Normalmap inverting is needed because different shaders use different standards. Some want red channel to point left, others want it to point right. Same with green channel. Integrating this into your tool means one less step to perform in an image editor. It would be helpful to be able to set this "permanently" instead of for each session.

Tiling looks great!

02 February 2010
Nice work Hippolyte. Remember reading about relief mapping in a Siggraph paper some time ago. Its good to see something commercial and user friendly being implemented by you. All the best!

-Sachin

02 February 2010
tiff and exr: Ok I'm going to work on that. I've had trouble in the past with librarys for those. I expect this to take some time before I trust them fully, but that's not impossible at all. Thanks for telling.
On the other side, I'd like to reassure you because I think my program is fully functional now even without 16 bit image formats, but I think it's worth a try as it can give you the extra detail that you need on depth maps when you subdivide like crazy (like over a million polygon).

Normalmap inverting: ok I understand, it fully makes sense. It will be a cool addition to my program. Do you think just inverting X and Y is enough?

Tiling : have you seen my videos about tiling?

Originally Posted by EricChadwick: 16bit TIFF would be good. Many image editing and rendering tools can use this format, for me that means Photoshop and 3ds Max. EXR is another common float format.

Normalmap inverting is needed because different shaders use different standards. Some want red channel to point left, others want it to point right. Same with green channel. Integrating this into your tool means one less step to perform in an image editor. It would be helpful to be able to set this "permanently" instead of for each session.

Tiling looks great!

noizFACTORY: thanks I appreciate!

02 February 2010
PNG also offers higher color spaces and has a good compression as well as development libs...

02 February 2010
Thanks! I hope you will like it!

Originally Posted by noizFACTORY: Nice work Hippolyte. Remember reading about relief mapping in a Siggraph paper some time ago. Its good to see something commercial and user friendly being implemented by you. All the best!

-Sachin

02 February 2010
30 more new images are here : http://www.facebook.com/pages/PhotoSculpt/271380709102

1 more video here, with a salad (?) : http://www.youtube.com/user/hipe0

Hoping you'll like them?

02 February 2010
I've updated the web site with 70 more new images detailing the PhotoSculpt interface, feature details,
free seamless tileable textures, normal maps, displacement maps and so on.
Check it out here : www.photosculpt.net menu/photosculpt textures/gallery

Hoping you'll like it?

02 February 2010
Wink

Video of the interface in action !

02 February 2010
The main url is not working now, i can't get to it. :(

/ Magnus

02 February 2010
Looks like very interesting software! I'lll check this out when it's available.

-jeremy

02 February 2010
Smile

Looks really good but it's gonna be free?.
Maybe do you wanna implement in the Blender ( heheeh)

02 February 2010
Not free from what I hear, pricing is still being decided on.
Sculpt first, Polygons later

Thread Closed share thread