Tutorial:Hard Surface Texture Painting

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2006
Hi Stefan,

It is a real pleasure to watch your painting & texturing skills. absolute awesome and a fantastic tutorial. Reminds me about one thing... i have much to learn

Keep going this way.. i will watching you.

www.abalakin.de

06 June 2006
Thumbs up Thank You

Thank You Stefan....you know I was looking forward to this

Rawn

06 June 2006
Thanks for sharing this great information. The end results of your technique are always amazing. I think you make a good point in your reply to Phil_Osirus; knowing what you want for an end state before you begin is probably as important as knowing the tool(s) you are using.

06 June 2006
great tutorial Steffan, very clear and pictures are self explainatory very good job you did with this one thank you and looking forward to see more of these.

06 June 2006
Very good and clear tutorial, SM! I haven't seen anything on how Max's auto uv creation option works. is there a simple explanation of that anywhere?

Seeing your latest wip images makes me wonder how the hell (and how long) doing the uv mapping for it would take?

Lightwave's UV mapping tools are archaic, and I'm looking elsewhere for uv mapping solutions.

06 June 2006
wow! fantastic work combined with a clear presentation makes for a winner.

thx for sharing!

Blog

06 June 2006
hi
thx a lot for sharing ur knowledge. this is very nice tutorial for us.

06 June 2006
Thanks for the really clear, easy to follow tutorial!

Here is a PDF of it (Created with permission). I hope the link works for everyone.

http://files.filefront.com/Painting...;/fileinfo.html

06 June 2006
Thanks for the tutorial, it's extremely informative. But I was wondering if you could expand on the custom brush creation. I'm assuming you adjust the jitter amount and some of the other dynamic settings, but it would be really cool if you could go into more detail on that.

Also, I've been doing a lot of Ambient Occlusion passes in Max lately using the Ambient Occlusion (MR) setting, but I notice that no matter how much I increase the sample settings I always get ugly jagged edges in the render. So I've been rendering at double the size I need and then scaling down in Photoshop to get more anti-aliased edges. Have you run into this problem or do your AO renders look okay?

06 June 2006
is there a way to render an AO pass of the UV templet in Maya/ mental ray?
I guess I could import it into zbrush and pull a cavity map out of zmapper for the same effect...but should be a way inside maya

thanks for the info, good stuff.

Last edited by clodhopper : 06 June 2006 at 05:36 AM.

06 June 2006
cool..good to see this well received
,& big thanks to scottsch for making a .pdf

Originally Posted by JHaywood: Thanks for the tutorial, it's extremely informative. But I was wondering if you could expand on the custom brush creation. I'm assuming you adjust the jitter amount and some of the other dynamic settings, but it would be really cool if you could go into more detail on that.

Also, I've been doing a lot of Ambient Occlusion passes in Max lately using the Ambient Occlusion (MR) setting, but I notice that no matter how much I increase the sample settings I always get ugly jagged edges in the render. So I've been rendering at double the size I need and then scaling down in Photoshop to get more anti-aliased edges. Have you run into this problem or do your AO renders look okay?

hi j

I think the baking render settings are tied to you general render settings..so it might be as simple as switching AA on.or try a different filtering method.
also while I'm using the mr option I'm usualy rendering it with Final Render Stage 1,
...& as your already doing, rendering at double size & scaling down is a good way to avoid using any AA

I didn't go too indepth with the baking as every app uses different terminology & methods for baking.

for custom brushes,check out this tut:
http://www.arraich.com/ps6_tips_7brushes1.htm
& do a google for more,that's a pretty indepth subject..& something I've only ever crashed my way through
there is a tonne of options for customising brushes in photoshop

clodhopper...sorry I dont use Maya,you'd probably need to ask in a maya specific forum about 'texture baking'..I'm fairly sure maya,xsi,c4d,lightwave etc all offer texture baking,but my knowledge of it starts & stops with 3dsmax

Cheers
Stefan

Last edited by Stefan-Morrell : 06 June 2006 at 06:27 AM.

06 June 2006
Hey Stefan, that's one fantastic tutorial. I'm a big admirer of your work and I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge. Many thanks!

06 June 2006
Nice one. Thanks for sharing.

06 June 2006
thanks for the tutorial, very much appreciated.

06 June 2006
Awesome tut man...Just the kinda thing i was looking for. I never rendered a AO pass with the uvw template. How do u go about this?...

Thread Closed share thread