Tutorial:Hard Surface Texture Painting

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2006   #61
Originally Posted by efx1138: However, I can't seem to get it to work with the render to texture function. The uv's are all layed out.
Viktor

I think that might be better asked in the 3dmax forum,I can't think of any reason for it not to work.
I usually use the final Render engine to bake my textures,but using mentral ray 'should' work just fine.

you will get black areas wherever your uv's are overlaid,also if the model has multiple uv sheets then I'd guess each set will need to be rendered seperate to avoid the overlaying of uv's

but again..I'd shoot this over to the max forum where more 3dMax users will see it,I'd be curious to see what others say about it too.

Last edited by Stefan-Morrell : 09 September 2006 at 01:50 PM.

Old 09 September 2006   #62
thank you!

for posting this great tutorial, i have searched all over and finally come to the right place!

i know this probably is too much to ask but i was hoping you could send me the photoshop file of this tutorial so i could do it step by step and try to paint like you did. i only ask because i am very new to PS and some of the material covered on your tutorial i just simply didn't understand.

if u can't i'd understand too,

thank you either way for giving such great tutorial!

my email is
southern_cal_96@yahoo.com

happy painting!

Old 10 October 2006   #63
Hi, very good tuto for a 3d Noob like me .. but a question, when u made the UVlayer, what happen with the verticaly face of your object ? because your uvmap don't show this verticaly face don't they ?

I notice, may be your object have no really vertical ?

Old 10 October 2006   #64
Originally Posted by leau2001: Hi, very good tuto for a 3d Noob like me .. but a question, when u made the UVlayer, what happen with the verticaly face of your object ? because your uvmap don't show this verticaly face don't they ?

I notice, may be your object have no really vertical ?

hi Leau
the vertical sides you mention are so small & barely noticeable that I could easily get away with a simple planar map over the whole object.
if I had mapped the edges then the same rules apply about keeping all the uv's from overlapping eachother(this causes major trouble when you do the AO texture baking)

Cheers
Stefan

Old 10 October 2006   #65
Thanks for the tutorial! Here's my try:

It has 2 additional things - a specular pass (as its for a game), set to screen, 80% - and duplicated AO and tinted it a rusty colour to get some more rust/dirt in the crevices. It was only a 5-minute test to see how it turned out, and seeing the results I think I'm going to stick to it :P

Old 10 October 2006   #66
looks great Duke...nice work!

Old 10 October 2006   #67
Here my 1st result with Blender

Hi, just to show my 1st result with blender and Gimp... appologize for my little lightning expérience...

Thx fot this tuto how learn me more

lo

Old 10 October 2006   #68
Thumbs up

Thanks for the good tutorial Stefan,so great!

Old 10 October 2006   #69
Thanks for the tutorial, man. Its loaded with much needed information.

Old 10 October 2006   #70
i must say this i concur with everyone in that this tuturial rules. i have one tiny question though. i am using this method on a model, however, there are a few peices that it makes no sense to map, and the textures are applied via projections. what should one do regarding models where some parts are unmapped?

Old 10 October 2006   #71
Stefan-Morrell:

Anyone can answer this. I am having trouble getting the "UV Template".
Can anyone do a mini-tutorial for me please. I know I am asking much, but I really need help with this.

I am unwrapping my object, but it does not seem similar to Stefan-Morrell's work. Maybe I am doing it the wrong way, which is why I would like someone with more knowledge than me to giud me.

Anyway, thanks in advance to all.

Old 11 November 2006   #72
Amazing tutorial Stefan ! Thank you.

Old 11 November 2006   #73
Hey Stefan,

Great work. One question, when using specular maps, where are they being placed in the material editor? In the Glossiness slot?

Old 11 November 2006   #74
If anyone is working with programs that can't render occlusion maps.you should check this one out(free):
http://www.santyesprogramadorynogra...t/projects.aspx

I've been having a great time lately rendering out normal maps from very high poly models.

Originally Posted by njanim8tor: Hey Stefan,

Great work. One question, when using specular maps, where are they being placed in the material editor? In the Glossiness slot?

I usually drop it into the 'Specular Level'..so the map defines how much spec comes through,I'd guess it's more or less the same thing as putting it into the glossiness slot.

Greg-Jackson..I've used a very simple planar map for the example panel,applying a generic unwrap will look vastly different to a simple planar map...the sides of the mesh that don't meet the projection of a planar map are so small that I didn't feel it required mapping.
I also wanted the template perfectly square so I could easily tile it.

I think the biggest rule to follow if your baking is to avoid overlapping uv's..anything that overlaps will render very dark,

btw,there's a few more panels here using the same technique:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=422622

leau2001..good job for a first result,the biggest thing that jumps out at me with that are the colours,the yellow I think could do with some de-saturation & maybe darken the hue a bit,I'd also add a grunge overlay to get some variation in the overall look,& maybe tone down those scratches a bit

benjerman..yea,my models always end up with a few parts that aren't worth doing any custom template based textures for,a generic tiling texture & a quick uvw unwrap works fine on these parts..things like bolts,nails,cables ..these almost always get a generic texture.

Old 11 November 2006   #75
thx for sharing this knowledge.
my daily fotos

Thread Closed share thread