Danny Takacs_Render and Lighting_Alien Crash Site

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

12 December 2017
Danny Takacs_Render and Lighting_Alien Crash Site

After creating a creature for this challenge, I started playing around with an environment concept that I've been wanting to make. I figured that I would enter it into another category for fun. So here is my current alien crash site WIP. I wanted to make a scene that pays homage to the classic matte painting/environment of the alien ship at the Norwegian research camp in John Carpenter's The Thing. This is me re-imagining that environment of the film.

Last edited by takacsdesigns : 12 December 2017 at 01:27 PM.

12 December 2017
While doing some initial render passes, I noticed that the overall perspective of the scene looked off:

I changed my camera settings and it looked more along the lines of what I wanted. I have some extra editing to do on the left side, but it looks better overall.

12 December 2017
I composited my renders in Photoshop, added some snow effects, and did a few more tweaks for my final image:

Here's a second version with some more falling snow and a helicopter. I'm not sure which version I like best, so here's both for fun.

I like that the helicopter adds more to the story of the scene, but I like the isolation of the first version.

Software used: Zbrush, Keyshot, and Photoshop.

reply share thread