CGTalk > Work in Progress and Critique > WIP/Critique: 3D
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 07-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #16
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewall64
I agree with david. The proportions are a bit off. I would go for 8 heads tall and add that to the legs in length they just look a bit off. I wanna see more cause this one has something that I think will look great.

You are totally right! I just looked at it and I see he is a bit short to the ideal one and the head looks a bit big. Thanks man.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:36 PM   #17
Comar93
Limitless

portfolio
Marko Ivanovic
3D Artist, Music Composer and Graphic designer
Novi Sad, Serbia

Send a message via MSN to Comar93
Wow that's really nice and fast! I'm really looking forward to seeing this finished especially cause we're in the same boat

Old 07-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #18
zokana
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Zoltan Kanabe
Zurich, Switzerland

And i think that proportions depend very much on the purpose of the character. For me it isnít clear yet whether itís going to get a stylised character, a superhero, a realistic soldier, how much you want to elaborate the body and what for, in what kind of pictures you want to use the character, etc, before being able to give inputs.

Leg and head proportions are fine in my eyes for a realistic character, but shoulders are rather wide then. Or is it going to get a 2m hero of the Ukrainian space forces in the 23rd century used in a single render? More explanations would make it easier to follow your work here, which is very well done so far.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:12 PM   #19
davius
Positive electron

portfolio
David Almeida
Part-time dreamer
Maceió, Brazil

I agree with Zoltan, it all comes down to the type of character you're making. My comments were made towards a photo real one, but that doesn't take the charm (and dificult) to make a stylized human figure. And it's all about feel, even if you follow the correct metrics in every little detail you may still end up with an unpleasant looking character. And human proportions can vary a lot and that makes unique personas interesting.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #20
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

Hi friends, sorry for the late reply.
Who is this guy? He is the main character for the short I'm working in my spare time. I build it the way to learn new interesting stuff.
He is a former Russian soldier, and now retired. I think he's about 50 y.o, and has some grey hair. I'm going for a realistic type, but the nature of what we do pushes us to stylize at least a bit. Still, I want to make him something which could look real, rather than totally a pile of ecorche muscles.
For now I worked a bit on head and front. Now I will work on the back muscles.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #21
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

I started refining the back. Back muscles is a hard part, I will need to look for more references. More tomorrow!

Old 07-11-2011, 07:38 PM   #22
rainbowdemon
Expert

portfolio
Stanislav Shcherbakov
3D Artist
London, United%2BKingdom

Nice work man. I like the face, it is very Slavic. Definitely looks Russian )) And also got that hardened look of a soldier, even without any materials/textures. The body looks awesomely sculpted, but maybe a bit on the super-hero side.. Maybe add a little more details in the neck area?

--------------------------
Available for freelance work

Old 07-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #23
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowdemon
Nice work man. I like the face, it is very Slavic. Definitely looks Russian )) And also got that hardened look of a soldier, even without any materials/textures. The body looks awesomely sculpted, but maybe a bit on the super-hero side.. Maybe add a little more details in the neck area?

Thanks buddy!
Yes, you're totally right, the neck needs more details definitely. And generally, more definition. I will need to look carefully to references.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:29 PM   #24
zokana
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Zoltan Kanabe
Zurich, Switzerland

Thumbs up

Thanks for the infos. Well then, letís say itís a semirealistic pensioner, well-preserved for his declining years. Just kidding - he looks very fine for a short film. The only thing iíd change perhaps is his nose - the tip is very narrow and the sides rather boxy - somewhat too stylised compared to the rest.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:41 PM   #25
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

Thank you Zokana, I agree with you, fixed the nose.
I think it needs another two sessions. For now I will start blocking out clothes.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:17 PM   #26
joesomerville
Veteran
portfolio
Joe Somerville
3D Artist
Hamilton, Canada

His face reminds me of the actor Berry Pepper (he recently played Bobby Kennedy in the TV show 'The Kennedys"

Old 07-12-2011, 10:30 PM   #27
VulgarPerson
Polite as always

portfolio
Tomislav Perić
Chuck Norris
High school
Novi Sad, Serbia

Send a message via MSN to VulgarPerson
I must state out that he has a retarded penis. Hahaha, just kidding, wish I could model like this, though. Well, maybe one day

Old 07-12-2011, 10:46 PM   #28
davius
Positive electron

portfolio
David Almeida
Part-time dreamer
Maceió, Brazil

Looking good, really good Mister! The musculature is beautifully done, and he sort of reminded me of Superman's Red Son. His jaw and hair are a tad on the super hero side, but very realistic nonetheless. Maybe his ear is a little low (looking through the eye line) and the back of the head is a bit blocky too? Anyway, this is just my taste flowing through my comments - your soldier looks awesome!

Keep it up!

Old 07-13-2011, 05:33 AM   #29
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesomerville
His face reminds me of the actor Berry Pepper (he recently played Bobby Kennedy in the TV show 'The Kennedys"

That's a good reference, I think I can borrow some points here, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle3000
I must state out that he has a retarded penis. Hahaha, just kidding, wish I could model like this, though. Well, maybe one day

I will check it, thanks buddy.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:35 AM   #30
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by davius
Looking good, really good Mister! The musculature is beautifully done, and he sort of reminded me of Superman's Red Son. His jaw and hair are a tad on the super hero side, but very realistic nonetheless. Maybe his ear is a little low (looking through the eye line) and the back of the head is a bit blocky too? Anyway, this is just my taste flowing through my comments - your soldier looks awesome!

Keep it up!

Thanks buddy, I will check it out. I think you're right.

Thread Closed share thread