Republic P-47C Thunderbolt

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2011   #31
It's been quiet for a while because I'm very busy with another project at the moment, but I managed to put some time in again. Finished the tail wheel last weekend and started blocking out the cockpit today.

Cobra 6
LinkedIn

Old 08 August 2011   #32
Hey Joep!!!
Really fantastic progress on an amazing subject!

Old 08 August 2011   #33
Thanks Mirko It's my first US plane also hehe.

Couple of more hours of blocking out shapes. Doing this in a low detail version first to check that everything fits correctly

Cobra 6
LinkedIn

Old 05 May 2012   #34
Ok, it's been a really long time since the last update but this bird has been evolving over the past year Recently I got time to work on it again full-time and this is the current status.

Today I did not feel like texturing much so I decided to finish up the rigging of this bird to get it to a workable level. I've finished both landing gears (they close now properly at any angle of the bird with all covers etc.) and the flap arrangement. Now the flaps were quite interesting as this is roughly what they do when extending or contracting:

As you can see there are multiple hinges and dependencies here so it was a nice challenge to get working on both sides and still have them work whichever way you turn the plane

Some beauty shots I also felt like making:

Enjoy!

Still some texturing glitches in the colour map and I haven't fully finished the bump yet.

Cobra 6
LinkedIn

Old 05 May 2012   #35
I nearly finished the rig now, still looking into the gear as there is a problem with a gimbal-lock I think. The rest is all hooked up to fancy sliders and working!
Rig video

And here is the finished bump map for the exterior. There might be something to add later you never know Enjoy!

Bumpmap1
Bumpmap2
Bumpmap3
Bumpmap4
Bumpmap5
Bumpmap6

Cobra 6
LinkedIn

Last edited by cobra6 : 06 June 2012 at 04:07 PM.

Old 06 June 2012   #36
I'm currently in the process of texturing the cockpit, in the meantime I thought I'd make some nicer renders!:

Yes, the P-47C was used from the UK, so the last one is a valid backdrop :P

Cobra 6
LinkedIn

Old 07 July 2012   #37
Well, the basic colour map and bump (for the cockpit) are as good as finished now with some minor tweaks here and there. I've started the paint chipping Yesterday and got some more time on it Today. I've been away the past 3 weeks so had no time to work on the bird.

I've also started a SPEC map, but it needs tweaking.

Cobra 6
LinkedIn

Old 07 July 2012   #38
Excellent detailing, I love it Great bump maps as well!

Cheers
Andre

Old 07 July 2012   #39
great amount of details ..
this would be an amazing piece when finished

Old 07 July 2012   #40
Thanks André, haven't seen you around in a while Busy again?

Thank you xtrm3d!

Cobra 6
LinkedIn

Old 07 July 2012   #41
The cockpit is finished as far as I'm concerned, added a subtle layer of dust on top of the scratches and other dust/grime.

Complete:

Clay:

Other angles:

Cobra 6
LinkedIn

Old 08 August 2012   #42
Update on the texturing for you all.

I've nearly finished the textures of the engine itself, I've asked the client what he thinks of it as I don't see how to vastly improve them. Can't do much more weathering as this is an engine in service so I don't expect a lot of rust / weathering. Additionally I expect it not to be visible in close-ups or full views.

Also, I've made pretty much completed the base value for the reflection on the fuselage/wings as you can see here. The paint is a lot more reflective than what I was expecting to be honest.

Cobra 6
LinkedIn

Old 10 October 2012   #43
It's been quiet for a while since I was on a holiday and before that working on some freelance projects, but I've got more time on my hands again now to resume texturing.

During the last two days I've nearly finished the "labelling" on the plane (some lids still need numbers etc.) but also made some additions to the model itself. The reason is that I discovered it lacked a pitot tube and taxi light on the lift wing as well as the navigational lights on the right side

Please note this model still does not have any specular map, just getting the basic colour finished first and will develop the specular map once I start weathering it.

The markings are of Robert A. Lamb from 56th Fighter Group in 1943. I've not got something in mind for that particular aircraft but needed to pick one for working

Cobra 6
LinkedIn

Old 10 October 2012   #44
I've been working on the style of the weathering on and off for the last few days. Currently I've done the propeller blades, cowling, cowling flaps and the exhaust stains on the fuselage and gear door.

Cobra 6
LinkedIn

Old 10 October 2012   #45
Hi,
Really very nice model of this fighter.Especially I like canopy details.Just amazing.Maybe will be interesting if you post the wire view and say what software you use.

By the way I see you are freelance and how you studying 3D? Tutorials,books or maybe other ways.
Thanks

Thread Closed share thread