Anna and Olympia personal 3d project

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2011   #1
Anna and Olympia personal 3d project: WIP

Hello everybody,

I am asking for your opinion, extremely harsh criticism, all kind of proposals-so I can raise this project to the next level.
The project is focused on atmosphere, light and symbolism.
Please, all suggestions are welcome.

Let me explain: the entire composition should tell the story about impermanence of all things and beings.
I do apologize for mine humble English :)

Thanks!!!

Last edited by mpst : 06 June 2011 at 09:59 AM.

Old 03 March 2011   #2
Thumbs up

Wow it looks really good, i like the black and white better. What i can see that bothers me a bit is the car is rusty and all, but it doesnt seem to have any dents. A car with no tires windows etc, is bound to have some dents in my opinion And the (asfalt?) going along the right side, looks a bit to blue and there might be a bit to much bump on it aswell, at first i mistook for water but maybe thats just me. Anyway it looks better than anything i have accomplished so keep up the good job!

Old 03 March 2011   #3
I agree with Xerotin on those points, except that I like both versions a lot, and all those weeds are too straight. They need to be more blown around and natural. Also, the light on your scene doesn't match the direction of the sun in the sky. Right now it's kind of easy to tell that the background sky is just a picture. Hope that helps.

Old 03 March 2011   #4
out of interest, how did u create that awesome looking grass? :-)

Old 03 March 2011   #5
Thumbs up Add a Catch!!!

Nice image quality...love the feel of it. But, the image as a whole is lacking a catch( until now all of the scene is pretty predictable.) ...Don't get me wrong, its a really nice piece of CG. The story on the other hand could really use a catch.

Old 03 March 2011   #6
Originally Posted by Xerotin: Wow it looks really good, i like the black and white better. What i can see that bothers me a bit is the car is rusty and all, but it doesnt seem to have any dents. A car with no tires windows etc, is bound to have some dents in my opinion And the (asfalt?) going along the right side, looks a bit to blue and there might be a bit to much bump on it aswell, at first i mistook for water but maybe thats just me. Anyway it looks better than anything i have accomplished so keep up the good job!

Thanks for drawing my attention to very important technical details especially when it comes to right side route which definitely has to be more convincing in order to avoid any kind of dilemma regarding the material it is constructed of. These kind of wrecks are certainly much more bulged but I think that in this case I won’t exaggerate cause I would like to show that this car wasn’t damaged in car crash and due to that fact dismissed. However, “time” is the reason of its erosion and slow but implacable annihilation.

Last edited by mpst : 03 March 2011 at 05:44 PM.

Old 03 March 2011   #7
Originally Posted by Romanthony: I agree with Xerotin on those points, except that I like both versions a lot, and all those weeds are too straight. They need to be more blown around and natural. Also, the light on your scene doesn't match the direction of the sun in the sky. Right now it's kind of easy to tell that the background sky is just a picture. Hope that helps.

I agree with you R. the grass is the greatest problem from the technical point of view, being that it seems unconvincing (I will remodel it more carefully according to the references). The background is actually a photo I took while collecting references to this project; however, the source of light is not at the middle of the picture where there is an over-illuminated white part. The source of the light is actually on the left of the picture (look at the photo below), and that over-illuminated part is a cloud illuminated by sunshine which especially came to expression in postproduction causing confusion and inconsistency. That’s why i will eliminate it in the next render.

Thank you, R. for your useful advises.

Last edited by mpst : 06 June 2011 at 10:00 AM.

Old 03 March 2011   #8
Some references and wireframe renders which will help to you-so that you could constructively criticize this work.

and test render.

All textures and models are originals. Textures were taken from reference photographs and edited in photoshop.

I would ask you to focus on the elements which are already existing in composition.
For example:I would not like any extra elements or details to be put in composition.I am asking you to help me organize elements which are already existing so that we can put this work on higher level.

This work, no matter its exist as indipendent, already has its roll in other project.
I forgot to mention: Its very important that I do not want to use extern models and plugins. Only 3dsmax, Vray and original models and textures.

Last edited by mpst : 06 June 2011 at 10:01 AM.

Old 03 March 2011   #9
Looks pretty good, but you asked for crits so here you have 'em:
1) The displacement map on the gravel looks terrible, way too consistent...I'm not really sure what type of ground texture it is supposed to look like, but I would suggest a less procedural surface
2) The grass direction does not look real, it's all criss-crossing or straight up but in real life the shape of the terrain and wind causes more large patterns to form in the way that it sways
3) There is too much film grain over everything, it's washing out the contrast and depth by making it look flat. Film grain is ok but keep it to a minimum especially because it's not the most realistic looking film grain, one can tell that it is synthesized.
4) The lighting of the background looks inconsistent, the industrial buildings in the background should be highlighted from the setting sun as well
5) I think the overall composition needs work, it may help to step back from the truck a bit and have more trash leaned up against the side of it

Old 03 March 2011   #10
Originally Posted by stuh505: Looks pretty good, but you asked for crits so here you have 'em:
1) The displacement map on the gravel looks terrible, way too consistent...I'm not really sure what type of ground texture it is supposed to look like, but I would suggest a less procedural surface
2) The grass direction does not look real, it's all criss-crossing or straight up but in real life the shape of the terrain and wind causes more large patterns to form in the way that it sways
3) There is too much film grain over everything, it's washing out the contrast and depth by making it look flat. Film grain is ok but keep it to a minimum especially because it's not the most realistic looking film grain, one can tell that it is synthesized.
4) The lighting of the background looks inconsistent, the industrial buildings in the background should be highlighted from the setting sun as well
5) I think the overall composition needs work, it may help to step back from the truck a bit and have more trash leaned up against the side of it

Big thanks to stuh505 on very constructive critic and very concrete suggestions.
This work is really here so that you could help me to take it on higher level.

Old 03 March 2011   #11
Originally Posted by gatekey: Nice image quality...love the feel of it. But, the image as a whole is lacking a catch( until now all of the scene is pretty predictable.) ...Don't get me wrong, its a really nice piece of CG. The story on the other hand could really use a catch.

You are right.

This project is created as a background of entirely different project, having started its own story on inconsistency so I decided to publish (reveal) it independently.

The project is certainly not aimed at “retelling the reality”,nonetheless it is focused on the atmosphere in it, color and light.

I’m afraid that every ad hoc “throw in” of elements at this stage aiming at drawing attention of viewers can only undermine its inner balance.

The other project the background of which is this one already consists of elements you were talking about in your post.

Thanks for the constructive advise.

Last edited by mpst : 05 May 2011 at 08:46 PM.

Old 04 April 2011   #12
Hi all,

I've made some changes considering your justified remarks and comments.

I didn't add any new details because, despite it's own independence, this is just a scene for the new project (there should leave some space for the new actors).

First of all, since I didn't do it before, I'm posting a few pictures that explains the compositional work structure.

This line must remain dark because it is overshadowed by the cloud.
The best example of this situation (image above) is a picture of Vermeer, View of Delft (image below).

Last edited by mpst : 06 June 2011 at 10:02 AM.

Old 04 April 2011   #13
This is the test render without any post-production.
Grass with vray fur.
Click on image to enlarge.

Last edited by mpst : 06 June 2011 at 10:03 AM.

Old 04 April 2011   #14

Last edited by mpst : 06 June 2011 at 10:03 AM.

Old 04 April 2011   #15

Last edited by mpst : 06 June 2011 at 10:04 AM.

Thread Closed share thread