US marine

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2011
I've made a test color texture for the clip. I wanted to know how long it would take, since I havn't yet decided if I'm going to texture the rifle or not. But painting the texture in Mudbox was pretty quick, so I guess I'll might be able so texture the whole thing once I'm done modelling it.

03 March 2011
I'd say definitely model the map the whole rifle, then sell it on turbosquid or something - I'd personally drop a couple hundred bucks on it to start off your sales I want to make one myself but getting the geometry right is a pita without the real thing.

03 March 2011
Ha, I really like the slight metal warping you see at the bottom of the magazine. That's an awesome detail and very realistic. Some magazines look like crap at this point, the standard procedure when you experience a mis-fire is called 'Tap, rack, bang' and the 'tap' part basically refers to smacking the bottom of your magazine to ensure it's seated properly. Do that a billion times and your magazines don't look so good.

Your detailing is so awesome at this point that I figure I should mention this: the oval portion of the bolt catch is actually ridged. Here's an example: http://dynamicarmament.com/images/d...olt%20catch.jpg

I wouldn't have mentioned it but since you have a similar-scale detail on the selector switch, I thought it merited being brought up.

Awesome rifle by the way and the model as a whole is excellent.

03 March 2011
admiraligor

Haha! Yeah, earning a few bucks on this couldn't hurt right?

Bonds0097

Thanks, man!

I was going tu texture that part with a bump or a normal map... But you totally made me modell it instead. Here's an update! Thanks for the motivation, mate!

If you spot anything else I'd really appreciate it! More details can't ever do anything but good!

03 March 2011
Not the biggest update, and it's most likely not final for the grip, but it's a little something for ya'll!

03 March 2011
I really like the level of detail on this thing. The bolt catch came out very nicely and the grip looks very good as well. I look forward to seeing further updates.

03 March 2011
is that bump/diplacement you are using for the grip details or real geometry?

looking good, can't wait to see it totally textured.

here a

03 March 2011
Very nice. Great Detail and very realistic.

03 March 2011
Thanks guys for following the progress on this thread! Your comments are always most welcome!

ahau
And to you!
It's all made with a bump map that I painted in photoshop. I was thinking of modelling it, but it would have been too much of a pain, and most of it will be covered up by his glove later on anyways. I also tried normal maps, but I quickly learned that rendering out normal maps wasn't that easy. To me they seem to only work properly when rendered in real time...

More updates to come in the next few days!

03 March 2011
Here's the start for the right side of the rifle. It was a quite tricky part this one, but I believe it to be nearly finished now. Hopefully the background won't distract anybody too much

03 March 2011
Nah the background is fine. Nice progress on the rifle! Good and subtle use of bumpmaps too.

Cobra 6
LinkedIn

03 March 2011
Nice work so far! Accurate geometrical depictions! Looking forward to seeing the 'pants'.

03 March 2011
Here's the update of the day. Some things still need sorting out, but I'm planning on having most of the gun done 'til monday so I can't spend too much time on the smallest things. For now. I'll get back to all of that later on. Still, if anyone should have any pointers I'd be glad to hear them!

03 March 2011
thsi is an order

Soldier THIS IS AN ORDER!! Go work in a game company.

Great Level of detail XDXD

03 March 2011
Smile

HOLY COW! man this is amazing totally awesome work so far great job on the details i m loving it : D

Thread Closed share thread