US marine

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2010   #16
Wow awesome work on the helmet. Good start for the rifle.
well done, keep going

Old 11 November 2010   #17
1 - 2 - 3 - 4. I - love - marine - core

superb work so far. looking forward for more updates

Old 12 December 2010   #18
Thanks guys!

Since I'm not set on a pose for the marine yet, I was thinking that if anyone has any suggestions that would be great! I won't get much modeling done on the body before I'm set on a pose, so I'd really appreciate some input!

Old 12 December 2010   #19
Very nice modeling, question though. In your wire frame it looks as though you modeled in standard poly's and shifted it into the 3rd smooth option? If thats the case how'd you get it to render smooth as, often in my renders it just renders blocky and not smoothed shape?

Old 12 December 2010   #20
If you're rendering in MR, there shouldn't be a problem. But it's only MR that can render out the preview smooth. I hope that answers your question!

Old 12 December 2010   #21
Before I begin to model the vest I want to be sure on what's "correct". Since I so far have modeled a Lightweight helmet I'm stuck on modeling something that fits with it. I've found images of marines wearing both the Interceptor and the IOTV (... not simultaneously) with the LWH, but I'm not sure on what "years" any of these combinations would represent. This is a longshot, but if anyone knows this stuff I'd be glad to learn more about it!

Last edited by eRKK : 12 December 2010 at 04:10 PM.

Old 12 December 2010   #22
Originally Posted by eRKK: Before I begin to model the vest I want to be sure on what's "correct". Since I so far have modeled a Lightweight helmet I'm stuck on modeling something that fits with it. I've found images of marines wearing both the Interceptor and the IOTV (... not simultaneously) with the LWH, but I'm not sure on what "years" any of these combinations would represent. This is a longshot, but if anyone knows this stuff I'd be glad to learn more about it!

Prior Marine here hoping to give you some info you can use:

Soldier's in the Army are issued OTV's and IOTV's (which are two different types of the IBA...Interceptor Body Armor), possibly the Air Force as well (I don't know too much about them) while Marine's are issued MTV's (no music here, it stands for modular tactical vest ).

That's not to say I was never issued an IBA, Marines get all sorts of hand me downs from the other branches of service. I had one for about 1 year in okinawa before we got our MTV's at the end of '04 beginning of '05. Since then the MTV has been regular issue (as far as I know...I got out in the middle of '05). I do know that PRIOR to the MTV the IBA was only given out to a select few: those whose MOS's (military occupation specialty) deemed it necessary, to officers, those with friends in supply and those lucky enough to go pick up their gear at supply only to find out that there were no more flak jackets available lol. Overall I'd say that fewer than 25% of Marines have worn an IBA while everyone else got the flak jacket until MTV's became the norm shortly after I got out. NOTE: The 25% mentioned here is just MY estimate...not fact.

What does all of that mean to you? For starters the IOTV is a type of Interceptor, they are not two different things. The real differences between the two types of IBA's (OTV and IOTV) are the protective inserts, that you wont see in your model anyway, and the attachments on the IBA in question. So in regards to your model...either would be fine and its up to you which you decide to model. Personally I'd suggest leaving the IBA for a soldier model and go with the MTV if you want to do something that's up to date....though most of your audience might not be able to pick out the fact that your marine is wearing a regular flak jacket, an IBA or a MTV.

Take note while doing your research that it is hard to tell a Marine from a Soldier if you don't know the minor gear/uniform differences and haven't seen them in a long fire fight. I've even seen news broadcasts about Marines that were actually Soldiers in the Army. The easiest way to tell the difference, besides enlisting, is to look at the sleeves. If you see someone wearing cammies and they have an insignia on their sleeves the chances are high that the Marine you think you're looking at is actually a Soldier. If you see someone with no decoration at all (no chevron, no ribbons, no nothing) chances are the Soldier you're looking at either has been/will be in the thick of battle...or he's a Marine. The only thing Marines wear on our sleeves is our rank, and we only wear that on our dress uniforms...not our utilities. We don't go to war to look good and show everyone what we've already done...we go to war to get dirty and show the enemy what we're going to do.

Quote: The Corps, which has never lost sight that its primary mission is to fight, remains superbly trained and disciplined -- true to its time-honored slogan "We don't promise a rose garden." When, under Clinton, the Army lowered its standards to Boy Scout summer-camp level in order to increase enlistment, the Corps responded by making boot training longer and tougher -Col David Hackworth, US Army. 1997

Onto my only crit so far - on your lower receiver (the top image of it) the left side of your magazine release may be to far in (it may also just be the lighting you have in place). It looks like the spring for that release is worn out...but I could be wrong. It's going on 5 years now and muscle memory isn't what it used to be lol. I can still feel the rifle in my hands...but I can't remember the feel to that spot. As for the rest of it

Originally Posted by kybel: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4. I - love - marine - core
You got the cadence right, and brought back some memories of mine, you just spelled corps wrong...completely unforgivable lol jk

TL;DR - Either is perfectly fine as they are one and the same. Personally I'd suggest an MTV. You could even have the Marine wearing an old fashion flak jacket if you so desired. Marines get whatever is readily available at a cheap price. Marine Corps saying: Adapt and overcome.

Last edited by bipolarmadman : 12 December 2010 at 04:59 PM.

Old 12 December 2010   #23
Wow! Thanks alot for that info! I knew that I had gotten somethings wrong, so I really needed the help!

I've spent the last few hours collecting reference images for the MTV. Sadly, it's really tough to truely understand the exact way in which it works. I'd hate to model it only to have some (awesome) critique telling me that I have to redo it. So, if you - by any chance - happen to have any images of the vest or anything else related to what I'm going for, I'd love to see it! Or if you know of a good site with pictures or info that would help alot too!

I'll be sure to post some more pictures of the M16 as soon as I can!

Thanks, again!

Old 12 December 2010   #24
Great modeling, keep it up cause i want to see all the wire
It will be better than a tutorial, and most of all it will be for fre e

Old 12 December 2010   #25
Looking good so far. Although your full body model makes the marine look short.
Male Mercenary
Female Mercenary

Old 12 December 2010   #26
You are absolutely right about the height thing... I guess it's due to his low crotch. If you have any other idea of why he comes of as short, please tell me. The crotch will be higher in the next update! Thanks for spotting it out!

Old 12 December 2010   #27
absolutly awesome work,

highly details modeling, it's a pleasure to see when you know what is actually a pvs 14 rhino mount

looking forward to your progress, don't stop it !

Old 12 December 2010   #28
Thank you very much! I love your avatar!

Hopefully I'll get some updates up later this week. I've been way to busy at school for the past weeks... But since the holidays are coming up I'll surely get alot of work done on this!

Old 12 December 2010   #29
Originally Posted by eRKK: Wow! Thanks alot for that info! I knew that I had gotten somethings wrong, so I really needed the help!
I'm glad you found it useful, otherwise it would have been...pointless. lol. But seriously, I'm really glad I could help you out

Originally Posted by eRKK: So, if you - by any chance - happen to have any images of the vest or anything else related to what I'm going for, I'd love to see it! Or if you know of a good site with pictures or info that would help alot too!

Heres the MTV looking like its been laid out for an inspection. You'll see every piece, even the ballistic inserts that I spoke of earlier:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_oC8TwXe4P..._components.jpg

Here is a high resolution shot of both the front and back as its worn by marines:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...est_Okinawa.jpg

Heres another shot of the vest:
http://www.uscav.com/prodinfo/enlarged/31487L.jpg

All images were pulled from a google search. I'm sorry those are the best I could do, by the time the MTV was being issued I had long been past the phase of taking pictures of me in full combat gear wielding dual m249's to send home to ma and the better half .

Last edited by bipolarmadman : 12 December 2010 at 02:24 AM.

Old 12 December 2010   #30
bipolarmadman, I have following this post and your points and descriptions are great for him.. I found this online and sent it to him (private message) but failed to ask the one question I can not answer. Is this link/post accurate to your knowledge? Would it help his research on the MTV..

I found this regarding the MTV, http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=479902

Thread Closed share thread