US marine

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2010
US Marine

Hey, there!

A while ago I started to build a helmet, and now I figured that to start a WIP-thread might help turn it into a full Marine. Also, I started a 3D-school a few months ago (happy me!) and I need stuff for my future reel, so that's another carrot to keep this project running!

If anybody didn't get it from the title I'm planning on creating a US Marine I'm not dead set on what year he's from, but it's sometime during the Iraq war. Since I'm still learning about who uses what gear from what time I'm all up for suggestions regarding all of that

Please note that the goggles are not done. More to come!

Last edited by eRKK : 01 January 2011 at 10:05 PM.

11 November 2010
Amazing level of detail, looking forward to seeing this progress.

11 November 2010
Thanks, man!

I've been working some more on the chinstrap. It's still far from finished, but I just figured it was about time to share some progress on this to keep me going. This image also gives some general impression of where I'm going with this. Anyone with a keen eye for details will also notice that I've added a head! I started the sculpting of it in mudbox a few days ago. I will post some more images of just the head since I need some advice on the anatomy of it!

Last edited by eRKK : 11 November 2010 at 08:08 PM.

11 November 2010
looks awesome...the cloth in particular looks really real. I have one of these helmets and it looks exactly like that. Can't wait to see how this progresses! About the head anatomy its hard to judge from these pictures, but it does look like the neck is a bit fat.

11 November 2010
Thank you! You don't happen to have any pictures of your helmet? Even if most of the modeling is done, I could still push it a bit further with more reference images! It would also be great for the texturing part! Wow... actually having one of these would have saved me quite a few hours, and quite alot of googles bandwidth!

Regarding the head, I'll post more images of it later today, I guess.

Thanks again for the help!

11 November 2010
Nice work here. I don't know much about military gear but that modeling look flawless man. Well done, Keep going

11 November 2010
Thanks a lot!

Here's the head as it looks right now... I'm posting it to stop myself from going any further on it right now since I seem to be going in the wrong direction with it. I'd very much like advice on both anatomy and proportions!

Bigger picture here

Last edited by eRKK : 11 November 2010 at 03:37 PM.

11 November 2010
I stared blocking out the body of the guy today. This is something I'm quite new to, so I'd love some suggestions if anything looks odd. I'll put him in another pose later, I guess. Also, note that he'll be a glove wearing man, so if his hands look too large: that's why.

I would still love some advice on his head too! Thanks!

11 November 2010
Holy hell, that's impressive!
Any chance we could see some wireframes?

11 November 2010
Thank you! It really means alot!

Wires of anything in particular..? Don't hold your breath over the helmet wires - the cloth is made with a displacementmap. If you'd still like to see it or if you were referring to something else I'll be sure to post it!

Last edited by eRKK : 11 November 2010 at 08:17 PM.

11 November 2010
I was most curious about the helmet, but any thing you have the energy to post a wireframe of is appreciated. I like looking at the topology of other peoples work as a way of trying to improve my own modeling. And also just the fact that it's always interesting to see how something is made..

Did you use mudbox to produce the displacement map for the helmet?

11 November 2010
Sure, man. Here's parts of the PVS-14 mount:

Anything else just let me know! We're all here to share the knowledge!

And yeah, the helmet is sculpted in mudbox.

11 November 2010
The proportions look fine on the head the one thing that sticks out to me just a bit is the side picture, the neck looks a bit skinny and long. Are you using both Maya and Mudbox as your main tools? I pretty much know Maya but I have a hard time figuring out what tools to use to model certain objects. Could please give a brief run down of what you use to model the helmet and accessories with, thanks?

11 November 2010
Thanks for the critique!

I'm using Maya for all the modeling and Mudbox for the sculpting. This far I've used Mudbox for the helmet cloth, the chin sprap and the head. I'm also quite new to Maya. I mostly use extrude, insert edge loop, append to polygon, merge vertex, delete edge and split polygon tool. I don't think you need much more than that. Surely, other tools can make things faster but you'll do fine with those I mentioned (I might have forgotten something though). I'll start off with a cube of a cylinder and then I reshape and remake the mesh until it's where I want it at. Often it helps to know what topology you want before you start the modeling.

Hopefully I'll have some more progress on it soon!

11 November 2010
Here's another update. I've begun modeling the M16A4 that this guy will be carrying. As with the rest of him I'm doing my best to model everything as detailed and correct as I possibly can. Any critique will be much appreciated!

Last edited by eRKK : 11 November 2010 at 10:45 AM.

Thread Closed share thread