STASIS - Indy Adventure Game

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2010   #31
Originally Posted by no-name-party: I really like the first design. It looks kinda old school and it reminds me to "LOST" where John Lock was saving the world . And you've said you kinda prefere the button old schools style. So I like this more then this holo interfaces. They are awesome design, too. But I guess the first and the last to fit better into your concept.

By the way.. are you planning to release this in more then one language?

I also really liked the first concept, but it just practically didn't work. I'm going to keep that design tho for something else. My idea for the game menu's is that its kinda part of a larger set of computer consoles that all of the game menu's will come from. So the start menu where you create a new game will have a similar 'feel' to the save/load game menu.

There WILL be holographic computer interfaces in the game. When you are on board The Groomlake you will be interacting with a variety of machines, computer, consoles, screens..some holographic, some more 'retro'.

Im focusing primarily on English for now, but I know that there is a very large German adventure gaming community that I would love to bring the game to. I do wanna release in multiple languages when I get a chance.

Old 11 November 2010   #32
I guess it is well to have a great table of design variation or it will be boring. So you're on the right way

The german community of the engine is pretty large. Maybe there is someone who can help you. Maybe at least I can do it. I really would love to see a german version But in the first place. Finnish the english version

Is there any conversation in the game with people, robots and consols? Will you do this with real persons voices or only text?

Old 11 November 2010   #33
Hey man, really nice job you are doing here.. I`ll be following you!

I have a question tho, does that engine support fps camera movement?

Einstein Building

Old 11 November 2010   #34
There will be conversation for a while in the first act with your ship, and the captain will be quite verbal when playing him, but there are only 2 NPC's that you will have direct communication with in the game. 1 'survivor' and 1...well..I don't want to ruin the story.

There will be audio and video logs that you access during the game which will push the story forward. I have had a few offers from the adventure game community to help with voice acting. Right now I'm literally just recording my own voice as a scratch track that ill replace at a later date.

Old 11 November 2010   #35
Originally Posted by AlexCo: Hey man, really nice job you are doing here.. I`ll be following you!

I have a question tho, does that engine support fps camera movement?

Hey Alex.

The engine is purely 2D, so no FPS movement. They are working at adding in a 3D component, but I think it will be fairly limited to '3D sprites' and characters, on a 2D background.

There are some people that are working on Myst style games, so I know that those are possible.

Old 11 November 2010   #36
2D but with a z depth buffer, right?

Old 11 November 2010   #37
Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR: 2D but with a z depth buffer, right?

Nooooooope. No Z buffer! It would make my life so much easier if I could use one tho.

Essentially you cut out the different pieces that a character walks in front of or behind, and set a 'pivot point' for it at its base. So, if you were placing a tree, the pivot point would be at the base of the trunk. The engine then determines if your character is walking in front of or behind an object.
It sounds a little cumbersome, but the advantage with doing it in 3D is I just render out different alphas from MAX, and apply them to the objects, so I get a perfect cutout. Takes some playing around and walking around a level to check what pieces you need to create an object for.

Old 11 November 2010   #38
Hey guys, just wanted to drop in a little update.
The project is still very much alive and kicking, although most of the stuff Im doing now is all the background coding logic...nothing graphical-any any graphics I have in are literally stick figures and circles with writing in them!

Ive also taken a relook at the story, and rewritten quite a large chunk of the second act with a rather nice twist, and 'love interest' of sorts. Kinda love interest. And kinda a twist. I tell you, its so difficult to NOT tell you guys the story!

Old 11 November 2010   #39
Keep up the good work I am still waiting for nice images. Maybe you can show some screenshots from the engine so we can get a better understanding how things are working?

Old 11 November 2010   #40
looking good, may have a go at playing with visionaire myself

Old 12 December 2010   #41

Heres a shot pf the Space Walk sequence, when you first get into the Groomlake.

Originally this entire sequence was going to be a cinematic, with an in game 'cut scene' of the captain going towards the airlock-but after going back to my original story treatment, I realized that half the fun of sci-fi ghost ship stories is the initial discovery....the building of excitement BEFORE you enter into the ship-and having that as a cut scene is taking a lot of that away from the player. SO! Here we have the first piece of the spacewalk sequence.

You can also see the Hawking in the bottom right, for those wondering just what you ship actually looks like.

The scene has some really nice little animated touches....running lights blink on The Hawking..the captain in his salvage suit is animated to kinda 'dangle' his legs, and I've implemented a particle system to have bits of 'space dust' randomly drifting around. Combined the the 'hollow' sound of Marachecks breathing, the sequence is quite...cold, for lack of a better word!

SOUND DESIGN

Something that may be of interest to some people is a piece of sound design from the game. Im trying to make the game sound 'empty' and kinda freaky, so Im thinking of dropping a musical soundtrack, and just building up the soundtrack of the game with ambient sounds and noises.
This is a collection of the sounds from the Nursery sequence, with some other interface sounds layered over it. Just trying to get a feel for how layered to make the sounds, how loud the ambient sound will be, and to see if it will actually work. Tell me what you think? Freaky? Or just kinda stupid?

Old 12 December 2010   #42
Originally Posted by no-name-party: Keep up the good work I am still waiting for nice images. Maybe you can show some screenshots from the engine so we can get a better understanding how things are working?

Hey man. Ill post some engine shots and you can see, although to get a good idea of how the engine works, take a look at GLENFX's tutorials.

http://www2.visionaire2d.net/glenfx/

Old 12 December 2010   #43
Hi, this is looking pretty cool. I like this foglight and lonelyness it produces for that space scene with this small astronaut there.

HM.. only environment sounds are cool. This makes sure there is always a reason for the sound or noise. Because space and horror scenes are often very silent. But it would be cool to add some contrast with a radio the player could turn on or so..

Old 12 December 2010   #44
Originally Posted by no-name-party: Hi, this is looking pretty cool. I like this foglight and lonelyness it produces for that space scene with this small astronaut there.

HM.. only environment sounds are cool. This makes sure there is always a reason for the sound or noise. Because space and horror scenes are often very silent. But it would be cool to add some contrast with a radio the player could turn on or so..

Thanks man. Scale wise, he should be a 'leeeeeeeeeeeeedle' smaller, but then he just kinda comes out like a few pixels.

There will be some music in the game, but it will be music that comes from 'things'-like that music box will be an actual music box, and when you hear a radio, it will be from an actual radio.

The captain as well will occasionally speak to Hawking through the ship communicator, and sometimes just say stuff (some funny things ) at random.

There are also sounds like creaking of the ship, shit banging around that the captain will actually react to....so for instance, he hears something fall, and will actually swear and look around.

Old 12 December 2010   #45
Ive managed to get a website sorted for STASIS:

http://www.stasisgame.com/

Going to be putting some more game design and workflow things up there, so if you are interested, take a look.

Thread Closed share thread