STASIS - Indy Adventure Game

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2010   #16
The inventory is looking very cool. I watched it on vimeo and I thought it is slightly too big. But now I see it was a part of a full screen. So I guess it fits cool inside your world.
But it looks not that easy to handle. In adventure games you always can combine stuff and this small design could make it confusing. But anyway. Its cool and we didn't use it. So maybe its not true^^

Do you working on the sounds as well?

Old 11 November 2010   #17
Originally Posted by no-name-party: The inventory is looking very cool. I watched it on vimeo and I thought it is slightly too big. But now I see it was a part of a full screen. So I guess it fits cool inside your world.
But it looks not that easy to handle. In adventure games you always can combine stuff and this small design could make it confusing. But anyway. Its cool and we didn't use it. So maybe its not true^^

Do you working on the sounds as well?

I may have gotten a little carried away with the 'holograms are cool' thing. Its all separated by layers, so I fully expect that when I add in the actual items, ill be massively simplifying the holograms to make sure its not to confusing.
I'm definitely going about the art direction backwards, and am designing the 'looks' of the objects in a very free form 'try something cool, see it it works, change it, try it again' way...its not the 'right' way of going about it, but its certainly fun!

For sounds I've got a pretty big library of cool sounds from freesound.org, and some older games. Sound design isn't really my specialty, but I do have a very specific idea for the 'feel' of the games sound design.

From a design point, the technology of the game is a mix of a kinda 50's retro feel, with knobs and dials, gauges, CRT screens, and then some very slick sci-fi-ness with holograms, and slick 'medical' feeling environments. There isnt a reason for this in the game history (for example, Fallout had an alternate history), its just that I LOVE cool spaceships with buttons instead of glass 'iphone style' screens. Buttons have always been a staple of sci-fi! I dont wanna loose that.

The sound will definitely reflect that 'mish mash' philosophy. For example, when you enter the living quarters, the radio shows are kinda 50's jingles and 'HE MAY BE A COMMUNIST!' style announcements...the idea being that you are so far out that the radio signals you are picking up are from the height of the cold war.
Im hoping that this will create a rather unique feel in the world, and will also differentiate the technology that you discover on board the Groomlake (which, after all is an experimental, top secret engineering facility) from the older tech.

The Hyper Storage Device is actually written into the game story, as an example of the technology developed at Groomlake....how it was engineered is linked pretty heavily in the story.

Old 11 November 2010   #18
bla

then, how did the Capt get hold of it?

It seems I have missed out on some material, where exactly can I find the video? Found nothing on youtube, but would be very interested in actually looking into the game

Great job! The setting reminds me a bit of Bioshock - this whole scientific failure (?) in mixture with the old times. You worked that out very lovingly!

Old 11 November 2010   #19
Ah, I see you've very deep thoughts here I really like your workflow.

The design is cool. The concept is very good. But in the current renders it is hard to see the 50s and the cold war. Maybe you should add some stuff and designs from these times? I.e. a jukebox or some fancy blinking advertisements.

I guess it is 100% fine if you creat some totaly new universe in the game
I really like the rougher sci-fi designs. Ie. starwars has some cool ship interior designs. I don't like that clean star trek stuff.

The music out of a radio is cool. I can really good imagine how it sounds when you enter the living room. And you hear that metalic poor radio sound . And when you leave you're able to hear a gentle bit of the sound. This would creat some good athmo.

Will the main character find the Hyper Storage Device?
This would tell your story that it has been developed at the station.

Old 11 November 2010   #20
keep with this please. I love the concept. good work. congrats

Old 11 November 2010   #21
Originally Posted by no-name-party:
The design is cool. The concept is very good. But in the current renders it is hard to see the 50s and the cold war. Maybe you should add some stuff and designs from these times? I.e. a jukebox or some fancy blinking advertisements.

I guess it is 100% fine if you creat some totaly new universe in the game
I really like the rougher sci-fi designs. Ie. starwars has some cool ship interior designs. I don't like that clean star trek stuff.

The music out of a radio is cool. I can really good imagine how it sounds when you enter the living room. And you hear that metalic poor radio sound . And when you leave you're able to hear a gentle bit of the sound. This would creat some good athmo.

Will the main character find the Hyper Storage Device?
This would tell your story that it has been developed at the station.

The 50's design inspiration I want to be very subtle...I don't want to draw to many comparisons to Fallout...there are some things, like the posters in his room and the elevator control having that subtle 'art deco' feel. Once we enter the Groomlake facility Ill start peppering more 'design' stuff in. I want the introduction to the environments and the universe to be subtle..its a fine line to tread!

Originally I was going to have him discover the storage device, but it messed up the beginning of the game, and would mean designing and implementing 2 separate inventory systems. Its cool tho, because him having it all along kinda filters into the story, and the fact that technology developed there, under horrific circumstances, has filtered down into almost everyday life.
That is actually one of the core 'moral' dilemmas at the center of the story. Its difficult to explain without getting into the story (which I want to be a surprise!), but essentially its 'does the ends justify the means?'

Old 11 November 2010   #22
OK, you're right. And two inventory systems would confuse the player.

This all sounds like your almost done with the game I hope we can see some demo soon

Do you already have plans how to publish this one? And on which platforms?
I read you can export it for win and osx (even linux? i am not sure).

Old 11 November 2010   #23
Originally Posted by no-name-party: OK, you're right. And two inventory systems would confuse the player.

This all sounds like your almost done with the game I hope we can see some demo soon

Do you already have plans how to publish this one? And on which platforms?
I read you can export it for win and osx (even linux? i am not sure).

Hehhe-thanks man. I've designed most of the game on paper already-which definitely speeds up development! I have a very clear vision for the game, in how I want it to 'feel', aswell as play out.

Well I want to have a playable demo out by December. I wont release it publicly, more than likely to a small group of people to play test it and give me some feedback.

As for publishing, if I ever finish (ha!), i have no plans to release this as a commercial game. Freeware is the way to go. I don't know if Visionaire can do linux/OSX builds, but definitely a Windows release. Im pretty far off from doing anything like that tho.

Old 11 November 2010   #24
I would love to test it!

Here you go for some OSX info: http://www.visionaire-studio.net/43...programmer.html

But it seems a bit outdated..

Old 11 November 2010   #25
Originally Posted by no-name-party: I would love to test it!

Here you go for some OSX info: http://www.visionaire-studio.net/43...programmer.html

But it seems a bit outdated..

Done. Ill let you know when i have something 'test worthy.'

The programmers at Visionaire are very approachable, so closer to the time ill contact them and check how the OSX port is going. Looks like they are pretty far along with it already.

Old 11 November 2010   #26
Wow great project man, looking really good so far. Best of luck and keep us updated.

Old 11 November 2010   #27
looks really awesome!

sorry, nothing usefull to add, just wanted to subscribe to the thread

Old 11 November 2010   #28
Looks really cool, very pro!

Wow! you are able to create something conceptually so well rounded and graphically mouth watering at the same time...and all by yourself

Inspiring!!!

Old 11 November 2010   #29
Thought I would show you guys some of the interim designs and ideas I tend to throw together before settling on something solid.

I was setting up the SAVE GAME menu, and thought about, instead of calling them 'save games', being all sci-fi'ey and calling them CHRONOSPHERES...technology that owuld allow you to move back to a certain point in time. The chronosphere pack would clip into your salvage suit. It was still normal save games, but just in a clever way...or a way I thought was clever!
The more I worked on the logistics of it, I came into a few issues-the main one being that I can save the screenshots of the save games into circles.

Onto design 2!

I decided to go to the hologram way of doing things, and came up with a few interfaces for it, but really, it was losing a bit of that 'old skool' style of buttons, gauges, and 'heavyness' that I want. I have a few cool ideas for the menu systems in general...but they just werent 'flowing' for the save game system, SO...

I went to just a normal menu. Based on the same idea of the elevator control system. Its simple, and effective. I may still go back to the 'chronosphere' idea, but for now Im doing the 'KEEP IT SIMPLE, STUPID' was of game design. This works.

Old 11 November 2010   #30
I really like the first design. It looks kinda old school and it reminds me to "LOST" where John Lock was saving the world . And you've said you kinda prefere the button old schools style. So I like this more then this holo interfaces. They are awesome designed, too. But I guess the first and the last do fit better into your concept.

By the way.. are you planning to release this in more then one language?

Last edited by no-name-party : 11 November 2010 at 10:16 AM.

Thread Closed share thread