STASIS - Indy Adventure Game

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2010   #1
STASIS - Indy Adventure Game

::STASIS::

A place where anything is possible, where scientists have free reign to perform experiments without that pesky moral compass. Without the need to worry about approval, lobbiests, or religious movmements explaining 'why' something shouldnt be done. This was the purpose of the research station Groomlake.
A hub of the greatest scientific minds of the known world. Human cloning, genetic engineering, bio-weapon research, super soldier programs, all with 100% backings from corporations and even some world governments. Nothing was beyond the relms of human possiblity on the Groomlake.

And then it vanished.

On an unused subspace frequency, Captain Maracheck, of The Hawking listens to space noise. Chatter. background interfearance from stars, occasioannly a radio transmission that gets caught up in the static. He is free floating in the Kuiper Belt, 'fishing' for satelites, debri from mining craft, anything worth something.
Marachecks ship, The Hawking, is a small craft, with most of that being engine compartments, fuel, oxygen gardens, and storage space. The living compartment is the size of a caravan, with a small cockpit control deck.
The cargo bay ,the largest area, has a basket ball hoop, and a miniature golf course drawn on the ground in paint-now faded from quite a few years of dragging cargo over it, or just playing. Through the cargo hold is a decon chamber, which leads to the airlock.

Through the chatter, he hears a clicking...a regular pattern. Resetting the reciever to hone in on the signal, he pilots his ship towards it...
Drifting past a huge collection of space dust, he sees a collosal ship. The engines are dead, and the ship is heavily damaged from bombardment by small, and some not so small objects in space. But it is definitely salvagable. Definitely worth quite a bit of money. Definately a good day for Maracheck!

The Hawking pulls up closer to the dead ship. The docking port seems undamaged, but obviously offline. The ship pilots itself along side the docking arms, and fires teathers across. The airlock opens, and Maracheck, in full salvage gear, floats across to the ship. It is almost completely black, except for the running lights from the Dortmunder, and the teather lights flickering on the unknown craft...

Using a cutting torch, he removes the protective panel covering the docking terminal, and attaches a control nodule to the craft. He tells The Hawking to interface with the computer, and opens the airlock...

----------------------------

The story of Stasis has been in my mind for a very long time. Initially it started out as an outlet for bored weekends...a 'universe' to create artwork for, in between jobs. Then I thought about taking it further. Creating a game, or at least, some game environments and mockups of what it *could* be like.
Being a MASSIVE adventure game fan, this seemed like the perfect genre for an exploration story, so I began to design the game on paper, and started creating artwork for the various puzzles, characters, and of course, the environments.

I will be focusing initially on the scenes inside The Hawking, with a few mini-puzzles to get myself familiar with the engine (which is fantastic by the way!)

Looking forward to hearing from you guys!

Old 11 November 2010   #2

Living area on board the salvage ship.

Old 11 November 2010   #3

The Captains salvage suit. Perhaps a little to much Dead Space eh?

Old 11 November 2010   #4
Yeah-he needs to be toned down quite a bit from the deadspace vibe. I was thinking of going a more 'NASA' route...will mess around a little more.

Im using Visionaire which is specifically geared towards creating adventure games. Im in NO way a programmer..I cant even use MAX Script, so had to choose an engine that was hell-uv-a-easy, and Visionaire is definitely that engine. Its not really traditionally used to create isometric games, but the workaround to get it to work are few and far between.
I had my first playable level up after only a night of learning the program, and it just gets easier. Amazing engine.

EDIT-Post time travel...this should be after danshewan's post.

Last edited by Pyke : 11 November 2010 at 07:36 AM. Reason: EDIT-Post time travel...this should be after danshewan's post. ;)

Old 11 November 2010   #5
This is looking awesome, Pyke. Love the crisp art style and lighting, and the isometric perspective of course! What engine are you using? Unity?

I agree with you about the captain's suit, though - way too similar to Isaac's from Dead Space.

Old 11 November 2010   #6
I have seen the future, I can't afford it....

Anyways, I've not heard of that engine before, Pyke - definitely seems like something that could benefit from some more publicity, especially given the problems people have encountered trying to work with that kind of perspective in UDK.

Aside from some design tweaks of the Cap', I think you're off to a solid start. I'd definitely pick this up if it were on Steam or direct download. Looks great, can't wait to see more!

Old 11 November 2010   #7
Nice work I love the idea!

Old 11 November 2010   #8
Originally Posted by danshewan: Anyways, I've not heard of that engine before, Pyke - definitely seems like something that could benefit from some more publicity, especially given the problems people have encountered trying to work with that kind of perspective in UDK.

Aside from some design tweaks of the Cap', I think you're off to a solid start. I'd definitely pick this up if it were on Steam or direct download. Looks great, can't wait to see more!

Yeah-I really wish Visionaire was more popular. It really is an awesome engine-and VERY easy to use. I think because its *so* specialized, that it tends to be glossed over.
Its also a VERY artist friendly engine, with art being easily put in, altered, changed, without much effort. Infact, in most cases of changing artwork, you simply change the image files in the directory structure.

More is 'a comin! I want to have a playable demo up by December of the first few screens. I spent last night on the inventory system, then I need to put in the 'save game' system, and I can start of some cool game play elements. Just trying to get the bare bones in!

Hourglass, Thanks man. Keep checking back for more updates.

Old 11 November 2010   #9
Wow, I love adventure games I can't wait to see more stuff!
This Visionaire Studio makes me hungry of doing my own game. I will digg into it
thx

Old 11 November 2010   #10
Originally Posted by no-name-party: Wow, I love adventure games I can't wait to see more stuff!
This Visionaire Studio makes me hungry of doing my own game. I will digg into it
thx

Do it man! Your style already has such an awesome 'adventure game' feel to it. That 'old skool' Lucas Arts and Sierra style cartoon'ness.

I got the inventory up and running. Instead of having a 'backpack' or something, Maracheck uses something called a HSD...a Hyper Storage Device. This device can demolecularize any item (assuming it has a certain mass), store it, and remolecularize it whenever it is needed. Some nerdy sci-fi'ness for what is essentially a backpack.

Game-wise its a normal inventory, but it has a really cool 'opening' animation, where it opens up and the inventory is holographically displayed. Havent added in the items yet, but the inventory 'opening' and 'closing' works perfectly.

Old 11 November 2010   #11
Hehe, you're right I do really like these Monkey Island games My fav is Monkey Island 3!

The inventory is good looking. Can we see some animation on vimeo?
How did you animate it? Directly in the engine or in another program ie. Aftereffects etc..?

I do have some doubts about the engine.. Is it proffesional? Lots of indie games has been developed with udk or unity.. but they are surely alot harder to learn. But you can hire some artists if you need to. I am asking because I want to digg into this business

Last edited by no-name-party : 11 November 2010 at 08:42 AM.

Old 11 November 2010   #12
Originally Posted by no-name-party: Hehe, you're right I do really like these Monkey Island games My fav is Monkey Island 3!

The inventory is good looking. Can we see some animation on vimeo?
How did you animate it? Directly in the engine or in another program ie. Aftereffects etc..?

I do have some doubts about the engine.. Is it proffesional? Lots of indie games has been developed with udk or unity.. but they are surely alot harder to learn. But you can hire some artists if you need to. I am asking because I want to digg into this business

It was directly animated in MAX, and then comped in after effects (glows and stuff). Im taking a look at some other interface designs, and will possibly change it. Make it a bit more...delicate.
Ill have some VIMEO stuff up of the game in action sometime this week.

The Whispered World was done in Visionaire, aswell as Zak Mcracken 2 . Obviously you are going to have more control over a game with an engine like UNITY, or any of the other DEV kits out there-but if you are a non-programmer type you kinda have to work around the limitations of the engine.

Perhaps use Visionaire to put together a demo, and at a later date get a programmer involved?

Old 11 November 2010   #13
And from After Effects you can import an image sequence to th engine?
That sound like a very user friendly workflow. And very creativ

How do you get your stuff from max to the engine? Or are these only plane images camera projected inside the engine?

I will digg into this engine. You make me hungry haha. But there is still no mac version available.. I hope the next version will be available soon

Old 11 November 2010   #14
Originally Posted by no-name-party: And from After Effects you can import an image sequence to th engine?
That sound like a very user friendly workflow. And very creativ

How do you get your stuff from max to the engine? Or are these only plane images camera projected inside the engine?

I will digg into this engine. You make me hungry haha. But there is still no mac version available.. I hope the next version will be available soon

"Or are these only plane images camera projected inside the engine?" The engine is a 2D engine, so there is no camera...its all 100% 2D sprite based.

The engine reads external image files for all its graphics. So you export a PNG (if you want the alpha map) or a JPG sequence from AE, directly from MAX, or hell, even scanned art from Photoshop, and tell the engine which directory the images are found. When the game runs, it reads the images directly from those files. So updating the graphics is as easy as replacing files in a directory. Infact, when I was doing the interface, I set the output render path DIRECTLY to the game directory, so that I could literally render the animation, and run the game-seeing the results instantly.

Old 11 November 2010   #15
UPDATE:

Video of the Hyper Storage Device

Worked more on the look of the hologram. The previous version was a little chunky, and didnt quite have that sleek techno feel to it. So I added tons of crap to it.

Thread Closed share thread