recognize human modelling

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2009
Originally Posted by ianlai: C,D is really a painful area, i haven't touch the nose, just move the whole face forward as you said b4 ... question, how to do the paintover or others tip to check to check with the photo ?...

I can imagine the nose area is quite a pain to do.(together with the cheeks it's possibly the most difficult area with each 3d portrait) But i think thatís the key now for getting the likeness.
The first step when working with PS: try to do a render in the same viewing angle as one of the ref photos was taken (as exact you can) - and post both of them. Just give it a try. Good luck!

08 August 2009
[pic removed]

side 92
[pic removed]

i have move the nose and mouth a bit higher
the chin is shorter too
and others zokana suggested
seems a bit fat ?

just want to get some comment first since i have some questions about the previous suggestion

B. nostril more flat (i don't know exactly which part)
H: eyebrows raised ( did you mean the part near the nose bridge move up or the whole eyebrow move)

thanks zokana, hop u have a nice weekend

Last edited by ianlai : 07 July 2010 at 09:17 AM.

08 August 2009

1) Fundamental mistake in the skull structure at eyes area. I made the same mistake in my earlier models too. The structure should be curved outways to top of skull. Once, you fix this area, you should see a vast improvement in the model at all angles.

2) Lips need a little sink in at both end. Right now, your lips are a bit flat.

3) Need a bit more volume at both side of the mouth.

4) Minor adjustment to nose needed.

Its getting closer though. Keep it up.

08 August 2009
(nice to see PKD here, glad to know an other pair of eyes helping!)

About working with PS: I recommend to open your last version in PS (layer 1), then load your next version (by copy&paste) into the same PS file (layer 2). Switching between the two layers youíll see the differences. Like here (comparison versions 204&205 front): (if you canít see the animated changes: make shure GIF animations and looping are enabled in the preferences of your browser)

Versions 204 & 205

The next time i do a paintover without any marks, you can load it the same way into PS as mentioned above (in separate layers) to see the differences. Like here (comparing versions 204, 204paintover, and 205)

Versions 204, 204 paintover, and 205

Now you can see how ďraising of the eyebrowsĒ and ďnostril flatterĒ were meant.

Viewing the different versions you can decide, which of them (or which part of them)is more Toda-like. And you can create a new layer, where you paint the corrections you want to do in the next version (just to see if it works).

I personally believe the 204paintover version is best, but the nose and upper lip area should be moved frwd even more. Shortening the lower face in the y-axis in version 205 doesnít hurt the proportions in frontal view, but in side view I would prefer the 204paintover version. I would love to say go on with version 205, but Iím afraid you will get into heavy troubles with the proportions...

BTW: the model doesnít look fat at all - Erika has quite full cheeks in reality, giving her a somewhat childish look we believe to be sweet.

And thanks, yes, itís a nice but rainy weekend. Yesterday we had national holiday with firework and a lot of smoke.

PS: after having posted these GIF-animations everything worked fine, but then i didn't see them animated. Perhaps GIF-animations are automatically disabled in the posts.(?) Iíve removed the pictures and replaced them by a link.

Last edited by zokana : 08 August 2009 at 05:30 PM. Reason: PS

08 August 2009
Hi Zokana,

Just trying to help fellow forumers. We are all here to learn right. Now, I may not be a pro by any stretch of imagination, but still try to help, if I think my critics will be useful to the poster.(whenever possible, knowing how it feels when someone try to learn but have no people to lend a helping hand).

It doesn't hurt that the subject that ianlai wanted to model is the amazing cute & pretty Toda, & that ianlai is ever willing to learn & appreciative to the critics & comments from others.

I have seen some people here (which I shall not name) being abit sensitive & defensive when they recieve harsh critics, but ianlai is unlike them.

I strongly believe, in order for one to improve, one must be able admit to their shortfalls, to take critics & suggestion from other objectively.

Anyway ianLai, keep it up ok.

08 August 2009
This looks like a great start. Are you using SSS? It looks as though you are, but I'm not sure. If you are...the back scatter radius looks to be about right. It's the top and middle scatter layers that should be tweeked as well as the specular. I know it is best to finish the model first, but I'd be interested to see what your next renders looks like.

Keep up the good work.

08 August 2009
Originally Posted by PKD: Hi Zokana,

Just trying to help fellow forumers. We are all here to learn right. Now, I may not be a pro by any stretch of imagination, but still try to help, if I think my critics will be useful to the poster.(whenever possible, knowing how it feels when someone try to learn but have no people to lend a helping hand).

It doesn't hurt that the subject that ianlai wanted to model is the amazing cute & pretty Toda, & that ianlai is ever willing to learn & appreciative to the critics & comments from others.

I have seen some people here (which I shall not name) being abit sensitive & defensive when they recieve harsh critics, but ianlai is unlike them.

I strongly believe, in order for one to improve, one must be able admit to their shortfalls, to take critics & suggestion from other objectively.

Anyway ianLai, keep it up ok.

I agree with you 100%. My suggestions are sometimes quite hard, but Iím trying to keep them useful, escpecially in this thread. Iím giving comments the same way i would do when ianlai would sit next to me, knowing he wants to use this to present his skills in his portfolio. However, thanks for the reminder.

Iím quite shure ianlai has a lot of will to finish this beautiful work.

Last edited by zokana : 08 August 2009 at 10:37 AM.

08 August 2009
To PKD and zokana:
thanks both of you. i know my work is not good enough and i really really want to get comments in order to improve my work and learn more. i am lucky that all of you here give me objective and constructive comments (thanks God)and i really appreciate every piece of comment even it is just to say hi
as you seen the hit rate 2,410 and the replies 66 , only about 2.73% reply rate(most of replies are from zokana and me) . so i think it is difficult to get advices from others especially good one like both of you. so i must read it carefully

P.S. in fact i just think both of you are professional already, i have seen both anatomy work are excellent , PKD i like the hand u make, details and realistic

worse update, but just confusing about the nose and mouth
i move them upper and forward
in front view the nose is too short, but side i think the nose length is ok

i am not sure if i understand PKD's point 1 (The structure should be curved outways to top of skull), i have made change on that part but really not sure if it is what u mean

front

side

reference side 1
the one submerge in water

Last edited by ianlai : 08 August 2009 at 12:43 PM.

08 August 2009
Originally Posted by junghoonjoe: This looks like a great start. Are you using SSS? It looks as though you are, but I'm not sure. If you are...the back scatter radius looks to be about right. It's the top and middle scatter layers that should be tweeked as well as the specular. I know it is best to finish the model first, but I'd be interested to see what your next renders looks like.

Keep up the good work.

yes it is SSS with drat FG thanks for your comment

08 August 2009
Thanks ianlai for the kind words, i'll keep going on to be critical

Youíve posted 3 times the same link!

Erika in the water is here:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3636...881a03bc4_o.jpg

08 August 2009
fit it thanks
you seems happy about going on to be critical

08 August 2009
hehe. The face of my model in this WIP section has some similarities to Erika, perhaps the reason why iím quite active in your thread. I hope to get your help, when Iím working on the head of my model (soon), which is trying to depict also a real person. Looking frwd to see you judging me hard there...
(new suggestions will follow)

08 August 2009
Hi Ian,

Hope this is clearer.

08 August 2009
[paintovers removed]

A: after resizing the mid of the nose it appears somewhat too large to me. The shown difference isnít much, but quite important for the general impression imo.
B: i think the center of the face does still need refinements. Erikaís mouth and nose are more in front.

You possibly have them already, but here the link for the two photos used above, showing Erika in profile:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3264...f16e11fa6_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3067...b6d687277_o.jpg

and here even a better one:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3267...65448b87d_o.jpg

Regards

Last edited by zokana : 10 October 2009 at 12:14 AM. Reason: imgs removed

08 August 2009
to zokana
then do u prefer using the resize shorter nose ?
i am quite confuse about it

to PKD
o i do a wrong one
i look at the skull pic and just thinking if u are talking about the concave at the side skull
skull

Thread Closed share thread