recognize human modelling

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07 July 2009   #1
recognize human modelling

front





reference
01

02

03

04

update the image

i would like to make the a human face that can be recognized like the reference photo, but i really can't figure out the problems.
i have already spent too much time in doing it by myself, but i really can't make it better. i know there are many experts here so i would like to ask for help. i am really frustrated. so please have a look and give me some suggestions.

i make it using 3 area light with draft FG in mental ray
skin is SSS

edit the post to draw some attention
i recommend right click-> view image (firefox) to enlarge the photo if u need

Last edited by ianlai : 10 October 2011 at 05:46 AM.
 
Old 07 July 2009   #2
Sorry I cant help you but just wanted to say your doing a good job , keep at it
__________________
My Battersea power station project http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...p?f=43&t=666794

My Website
 
Old 07 July 2009   #3
a better skin shader will make a big difference.... but I am not good at that so i cant really comment on that department

I can point out some of the things on the geo you can fix tho:

1. the distance between her eyes maybe a little bit too far

2. her nose is a big too big

3. her jawbone maybe a bit too wide and too low.


try to fix those first and see how it will look
 
Old 07 July 2009   #4
Originally Posted by Dmaxer: Sorry I cant help you but just wanted to say your doing a good job , keep at it

anyway thanks for your comment
 
Old 07 July 2009   #5
Originally Posted by edgalor: a better skin shader will make a big difference.... but I am not good at that so i cant really comment on that department

I can point out some of the things on the geo you can fix tho:

1. the distance between her eyes maybe a little bit too far

2. her nose is a big too big

3. her jawbone maybe a bit too wide and too low.


try to fix those first and see how it will look


thx for your comments
the skin i used very simple texture




for the geometry, i don't know what should i follow
i used several reference planes and make it , the eye distance is correct in the viewport , but i quite agree with u that is a bit far away after rendering. the nose is the same reason

and her jawbone , this image may be better since it is a bit closer than the same horzizontal eye level

Last edited by ianlai : 07 July 2009 at 02:40 PM.
 
Old 07 July 2009   #6
Erika Toda!!!

I do a quick paintover to illustrate my point. Hope you do not mind.

Concentrate the work on the mouth & nose. The nose doesn't get sharper as it goes upwards, in fact it gets more "gradual & disappear toward the "T". This is more apparent on softer Asian feature. Work on the nostril area as well.

Eyes need to sink in a bit, near the "T".

Mouth lack depth, especially at both ends. See the soft dark areas on Erika lips, then notice yours do not have them. Also notice a slight curve at the end.

By the way, your eyes are amazing lifelike. Keep it up.

__________________
My WIP Thread:
Next Gen Lara Croft 3D Model Fanart
 
Old 07 July 2009   #7
I think the ears are too visible, compared to the photo
 
Old 07 July 2009   #8
I would say (hoping you don't mind) check first the headform: yours is quite square, while the ref shows a more oval form. And then check the proportions: I think the eyes of your model are too high(? would need more photos to be shure), and far apart (as already mentioned). And last but not least check the most obvious peculiarities of your reference, which are making that face so special: in this case the beautifully shaped eyes (which your modeled greatly) but also the well rounded cheeks...
Regards
 
Old 07 July 2009   #9
Originally Posted by PKD: Erika Toda!!!

I do a quick paintover to illustrate my point. Hope you do not mind.

Concentrate the work on the mouth & nose. The nose doesn't get sharper as it goes upwards, in fact it gets more "gradual & disappear toward the "T". This is more apparent on softer Asian feature. Work on the nostril area as well.

Eyes need to sink in a bit, near the "T".

Mouth lack depth, especially at both ends. See the soft dark areas on Erika lips, then notice yours do not have them. Also notice a slight curve at the end.

By the way, your eyes are amazing lifelike. Keep it up.

1


she is erika, love her so much
i really appreciate for your attention and thanks for you paint that for me


may i conclude your points?
1 both the eye need to be closer to the T shape
2 the nose in the upper part near the T shape is too sharp
3 the shadow at then end of the mouth is not enough and should more curve

Last edited by ianlai : 10 October 2011 at 09:00 AM.
 
Old 07 July 2009   #10
Originally Posted by zokana: I would say (hoping you don't mind) check first the headform: yours is quite square, while the ref shows a more oval form. And then check the proportions: I think the eyes of your model are too high(? would need more photos to be shure), and far apart (as already mentioned). And last but not least check the most obvious peculiarities of your reference, which are making that face so special: in this case the beautifully shaped eyes (which your modeled greatly) but also the well rounded cheeks...
Regards


i need to say thx to you, every comment i read it carefully

eyes of your model are too high
did you mean the eye is too large?
 
Old 07 July 2009   #11
Originally Posted by Pangloss: I think the ears are too visible, compared to the photo

yes but it is due to perspective distortion
you can look at the mirror and u will find out u can see part of your ears
thx for your suggestion
 
Old 07 July 2009   #12
Originally Posted by ianlai: [...]eyes of your model are too high
did you mean the eye is too large?

No, not too large. Your model has the eyes very much above the center of the head, which is very unusual. At least on the first photo the woman looks like having lower eyes. I think you should check that with different photos.
 
Old 07 July 2009   #13
Originally Posted by zokana: No, not too large. Your model has the eyes very much above the center of the head, which is very unusual. At least on the first photo the woman looks like having lower eyes. I think you should check that with different photos.


i have added more reference on top.
The 191 image is the one i make the nose and mouth a little bit upward instead of make the eye lower to the center.it is symmetry for convenience
i have checked that and i think the position of the eye is correct.But i appreciate if you can point it out in the picture so that i can check it thanks for your reply
 
Old 07 July 2009   #14
I hope this is more helpful:
[image removed]

Last edited by zokana : 10 October 2009 at 12:01 AM. Reason: img removed
 
Old 07 July 2009   #15
thx for your reply
but would you mind have some verbal explanation
the red line arrow mean the head form should go according to the direction?
i don't know what should i do about the black line?

and the mouth since i would like to make a smile like something in the reference 02

by the way, the reference usually can see the top of the head(the hair ) but the one i make is render is front view which can not see the top of the head. so there is some angle deviation at the headform
this make me quite headache

Last edited by ianlai : 07 July 2009 at 04:27 PM. Reason: zokana
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.