Metal Gear Rex

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

09 September 2009
If Rex get produce as toy...

Hi all:

I need your option on this topic. If Hot Toys is going to produce the "Rex" model. See the following link for the level of quality.

http://www.hottoys.com.hk/index.php...&product_id=278

And the scale, let's said 18" x 18" x 18". How much will you willing to pay for it?

09 September 2009
If Rex model for sale

If there is a Rex model for sale at the quality of the Hot Toys. I think I will pay max US $1500.

09 September 2009
Update

Haven't touch it for almost 3 weeks. Very busy.

I have never rig any model in 3D Max. Need to learn it. Rex is a little different from the typical biped. Any suggestion?

10 October 2009
Awesome model! You gotta add the camo texture from mgs4!

10 October 2009
Your rex is awesome and rigging needs of course first to know exactly how this machine moves. You can see it at its best when you walk with rex in MGS 4 out of shadow moses Island, you can see perfect his movements there. In most of the parts it wouldn't be necessary to rig him with bones, just normal IK linking with parent-child hirachys would work there as well. Also you can work with wire parameters in 3ds max, which can give you great and quick results. The main problem will be his legs, and I think your first bone approach is better there than the last image, although I am not absoluteley sure which parts move in what direction...
I tried to look at it at youtube, I think you can get some information from it, especially his sidewards movements, which are absoluteley unrealistic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPiq...feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnIt...feature=related

Allright good luck with it, I really would like to texture and rig Rex as well, but I don't have the time to build such a detailed model as you have already, really cool work

10 October 2009
thanks

Hi all:

Thanks for all your reply. Destrega: thx for the video reference. Rex's legs look much thinner than my model. I think some of the thick armor are gone. Comparing the movement from MGS1 to MGS4, the Rex is much more flexible. I like the new one.

Just came back to HK from Tokyo last week. Part of my "mission" was to find any toy on "Rex" in Japan or HK. Sorry no luck. In Japan I visited many toy stores, some big some small. When I asked or showed them the Rex, they just gave me short answer and looked like they don't want to talk about it. I went to HotToy in HK earlier this week, they gave me the same answer and don't know why there is no toy on it. Some staff didn't even know the "Rex".

Anyway, will be back to Canada soon. TTYL

10 October 2009
Hm, I took a look at rex toy figures as well some time ago, or even the ray version, but i found only some small key chains with rex on it...so nothing very special I only know, that Hideo Kojima has a big Rex and one Ray statue in his room, saw it in the making of, maybe you ask him? :P

I also noticed that rex has become much more flexible, which you wouldnt expect seeing this model But otherwise it would be unfair to fight against ray I guess

10 October 2009
Hi destrega:

I found the image for the Rex "toy" in Hideo Kojima's apartment.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71975012@N00/2611253341/

looks different from the sketch and the game. The backpack is much smaller. Maybe I should update mine.

10 October 2009
It looks really a bit different, but I wouldnt mind about that, it seems to me that this version is kind of a pre-model for the final game and not a one that was made after the game was finished. The Rail gun looks really like...well no rail gun. I have the artbook of MGS at home and I saw all different versions Shinkawa drew, there are much versions of rex with all sorts of different weapons. So if I were you, I wouldnt focus on that toy model, I would say its not the final version, or, regarding the backpack, it was made due to technical limitations for the model for a better standing or whatever.

Keep your model as it is, it is great I hope I will see it textured then
Good luck

11 November 2009
Good/bad news

Hi all:

Haven't update for awhile. I have finished my Rex. I have sent my model to Offloadstudios for a quote to do 3D print. It's still in the preparing stage. Then the good/bad news came. See link below before you continues.

http://www.toyark.com/news/video-ga...e-from-3a-1960/

Good news is there is finally a Rex toy. Bad news is why not tell me last year.....I don't know about you guys but to be honesty, I like mine better. (well, of course)
I think I will still get mine to print. Any suggestion?

So depressssssss.......ed..........

11 November 2009
yeah I had worked with offload studios, they do a good job but I recommend those guys http://www.ownage.com/ , way cheaper, and they do a better job, they hand paint models, build custom stands, if some parts are to small to be printed, they build them from scratch. Really good.

And yes, yours looks better, more detailes

11 November 2009
oh year !

very good model , i dont know the game , but , its a very good modeling , i hope see some personal creation with this level , its certainly a good path for done it
thanks for sharing

regards

kad

11 November 2009
I will definitely check with ownage for pricing. Just one question. I know Offload studios printed the SnaperWolf figure for the artist, how come the same figure also shown in Ownage's gallery? Anyone have the answer? This is also one of my concern. Once I send the 3D file out, it might get pass around.

11 November 2009
Print without texture

I think this is what it will looks like if printed without texture. The detail wouldn't show up clearly. I will need to increase the size of the gaps.

In order to get it printed, I almost rebuilt the whole things because there were a lot of un-closed geometries.

11 November 2009
In order to support the weight of the model. I also need to double the size of the hip joints and the arms that carry the rail gun and radar.

reply share thread