Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 07-10-2009, 07:22 PM   #16
zokana
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Zoltan Kanabe
Zurich, Switzerland

vsions: Thank you for the very useful link! Some really interesting stuff there and some superb drawings!

Last knee update for the moment (before this is getting a knee thread): Structure was heavily modified again without raising the res. Pictured with simple temporary textures, without bumps.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:15 AM   #17
vsions
Proffesional Assasin

portfolio
Dennis Mejillones
Senior Character Artist
Bethesda Game Studio
Rockville, USA

Send a message via AIM to vsions
Very nice work. I think you nailed it, looking forward to your final bumpmapped version

http://dennismejillones.com/ (Under Construction)

Do or do not, there is no try--Yoda

Old 07-11-2009, 04:46 AM   #18
mridulsen
Frequenter

portfolio
Mridul Sen
Modeling Artist
Dreamworks Dedicated Unit
Bangalore, India

Thumbs up

Saw your WIP model turntable.......it's excellent and awsome output coming.....only one comment I having in the face wireframe or poly flow.....some areas having cross section & tries in the front....if u can remove them then it will be excellent poly flow too......but in the end the output is superb ......

Old 07-11-2009, 09:46 AM   #19
zokana
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Zoltan Kanabe
Zurich, Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsions
Very nice work. I think you nailed it, looking forward to your final bumpmapped version

Thanks vsions - nice to read your ok! Yesterday I was able to integrate the new knees into the rest (IMO better to do it right away to avoid a Frankenstein effect at the end). It needed some scaling and gentle pushing, as expected. Hereby i noticed some strange shapes of the shin, leading to the next task: shin and feet (which is a larger issue).

Last edited by zokana : 07-11-2009 at 09:52 AM.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:47 AM   #20
zokana
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Zoltan Kanabe
Zurich, Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridulsen
Saw your WIP model turntable.......it's excellent and awsome output coming.....only one comment I having in the face wireframe or poly flow.....some areas having cross section & tries in the front....if u can remove them then it will be excellent poly flow too......but in the end the output is superb ......

Thank you for the kind words and suggestions! I agree with you about the poly flow of the face; refinements will be done together with increasing the resolution of certain facial areas (needed to allow realistic laugh and some wrinkling). Beside that, especially the mesh of the face will go through morph testings, to see the poly behaviour.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:18 AM   #21
zokana
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Zoltan Kanabe
Zurich, Switzerland

No update yet (feet are still in work), but at least with new knees. It's just a test with a lighting set-up I was having in mind since a while: extreme backlight (the model in front of a huge lightbox). Some washed-out outlines are intended, but the fill might be somewhat too strong...

Old 07-15-2009, 08:43 PM   #22
zokana
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Zoltan Kanabe
Zurich, Switzerland

First attempts to improve the lower leg (wire needs still a lot of refinements and higher res, especially that foot): Suggestions?

Old 07-16-2009, 06:40 AM   #23
Giom
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Giom Mouton
Johannesbrug, South Africa

The leg and foot looks perfect to me. I'd say, move right along

Good Job!

Regards
Giom

Old 07-16-2009, 08:36 AM   #24
zokana
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Zoltan Kanabe
Zurich, Switzerland

Thanks Giom for the kind words - it's giving me motivation at the right time: I was quite frustrated about those feet and toes and now I've separated all toes, being upset about the mess i did originally. I will do some more corrections there, just to get a peaceful sleep . But then the next step will be soon the torso, especially the ribcage. Thanks again!

Old 07-20-2009, 07:21 AM   #25
zokana
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Zoltan Kanabe
Zurich, Switzerland

The lower leg once again - with partially higher res. Ugly corners (e.g. heel area) were smoothed by adding polygon rows, toes are better positioned and somewhat reshaped. Hoping to be able to keep the mesh structure and the UVs of the foot I did some better texturing there (using Bodypaint), while shin and knee are just hastly painted.

And here the next step: the torso. Resolution of the ribcage needs to be increased to get finer shapes. The structure of the stomach area follows the forms I want, but it's nonetheless unpossible to get those shapes properly rendered. After several attempts the stomach became quite flat to avoid this problems – the solution isn't convincing at all... Here is the current version (the same as in my very first post): critiques are welcome

Old 07-20-2009, 07:47 AM   #26
Giom
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Giom Mouton
Johannesbrug, South Africa

Wow man, those legs and feet looks like photographs! The little veins and folds in the skin from the sole of the foot are very well done. Are those textures from photos or did you paint it in?

The brests are beautifull, but as you said, the rib cage need more work. The stomach is too flat - like you said, but I think once you give it the attention you gave the feet and legs, it will look stunning.

Your model is a lot more detailed than mine, (thanks for your comments on my wip!) I basically used my model to learn about rigging and animating. But as I soon realized, many things about my edgeloops are wrong, but thats learning for you

Regards
Giom

Old 07-20-2009, 12:07 PM   #27
zokana
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Zoltan Kanabe
Zurich, Switzerland

Thank you very much, Giom! Textures are just painted - I didn't spend hours with the UVs, so they are cut in several pieces, making the use of photos anyway too difficult.
Texture of the foot is sized 2400x2400px, still too small for some details on the toes, but small enough to keep renderings fast.

Your character is truly beautiful, and simply stunning for being your very first one! I think it's absolutely worth to invest more time in it, if you are unhappy about certain parts. I honestly hope to see it in the gallery!

Regards

Old 07-20-2009, 01:38 PM   #28
zokana
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Zoltan Kanabe
Zurich, Switzerland

BTW: some parts of the foot texture used above (resized and cropped)

Old 07-23-2009, 10:10 AM   #29
zokana
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Zoltan Kanabe
Zurich, Switzerland

First refinements of the front torso. Gretchen got some underwear to keep this thread solid, when the model is getting (hopefully) more realistic...

Last edited by zokana : 07-26-2009 at 09:07 AM.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:09 AM   #30
zokana
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Zoltan Kanabe
Zurich, Switzerland

While working on the ribcage some changes around the hip bones appeared to be necessary, leading to improvements of the lower back, etc, etc, finally even the head has been resized. Here the new version (undies left out for the moment to see the new hip shape; without the new foot tex to match the low quality of the rest), again as a turnaround animation: (please click on the picture)

You would help me a lot with your thoughts about the body shape...
The reference is 5' 9.5" (176cm) tall; height of her head is about 1:7.7 in proportion to the body height. Most difficulties I had with the shape of the pelvis, being never shure about the size. I would like to keep it realistic, without getting some boyish hips, but on the other hand I'm trying to get a svelte body type...
Major changes done on this version:
- legs are very little shorter, shin and mid section are narrower, kneecaps are enlarged (since the last update).
- feet are smaller, according to shoe size 8 (40) of the ref.
- the bottom is larger (perhaps a little overdone) and reshaped, together with the lower back.
- front ribcage and hip bones rebuilt (still in work), décolleté reshaped.
- head is larger (without the slightest changes of the form).

Thread Closed share thread