Old 07-05-2009, 04:00 PM   #1
zokana
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Zoltan Kanabe
Zurich, Switzerland

GRETCHEN (nudity)

Hi everyone

Character Gretchen is my current personal project. The model is progressing in C4D, to get finally converted into a rigged character in Poser. To improve the movements some additional alternative shapes are planed, which will be targeted automatically by the bending parameters (reshaping knies, shoulderblades, ribcage, etc., and creating major skin wrinkles). Such hidden functions worked already well with previous characters and are the main reason for the export into Poser.

I'm trying to keep the resolution as low as possible, but options for future morph targets have priority (Wavefront format, poly by poly). Body obj file: currently 1.1MB; task for final vers <1.5MB; plus hair (max 1.5MB). The resolution of hands and feet will be raised and some other parts need to be revised.

To get a better overall impression I use simple turnaround animations from time to time, keeping the subject quite small. Below picture is a frame of such an animation - this time with environment (built for a possible presentation). It was rendered in Poser 4Pro with temporary skin textures and without bumps for the moment. Hair is rigged and posed (though not finished either).

What I would love to know is your opinion about Gretchen's general shape, especially your very first impression, before the model gets the final touch...
All kind of suggestions are much appreciated!

To see the turnaround animation (Flash without streaming help - it might need a few seconds for smooth motion) please click on the picture:

Face with temporary low res texture - exact UVs and higher res will be added when the mesh is definitive (some options for certain facial expressions are still missing):

Old 07-05-2009, 04:32 PM   #2
vsions
Proffesional Assasin

portfolio
Dennis Mejillones
Senior Character Artist
Bethesda Game Studio
Rockville, USA

Send a message via AIM to vsions
Very nice! my only critique at the moment would really be the knee area. I suggest you develop them a little more, right know the structure seems wrong, but the rest of it is looking great.

http://dennismejillones.com/ (Under Construction)

Do or do not, there is no try--Yoda

Old 07-05-2009, 06:37 PM   #3
zokana
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Zoltan Kanabe
Zurich, Switzerland

Thanks a lot for this first comment! Knees need definitely some refinements, but I wasn't aware of needing it badly. It's task no 1 now. (detail shot will be posted soon)

Last edited by zokana : 07-07-2009 at 08:26 AM.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:15 PM   #4
Giom
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Giom Mouton
Johannesbrug, South Africa

Wow, she's really modeled beautifully! Seems very natural - I had to look twice to see if it wasn't a real model on turntable

As mentioned above, the knees needs more work.

Good luck with this!

Regards
Giom

Old 07-07-2009, 08:00 AM   #5
zokana
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Zoltan Kanabe
Zurich, Switzerland

Thank you Giom for the kind compliments! I had some time yesterday to work on the knees and they proved to need more corrections than expected (vsions was right about some structure problems). Update will follow in the next days. Regards

Last edited by zokana : 07-07-2009 at 08:25 AM.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:55 PM   #6
polyvin
Frequenter
portfolio
Aarvin
3D Modeler
USA

it may just be the way it's lit, but on the turn around it looks like there might be a flat area running up and down the back of the left thigh when the shadow hits it. might wanna check that out.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:56 PM   #7
zokana
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Zoltan Kanabe
Zurich, Switzerland

iaarvin: Thanks for pointing that out. I will check that with different lighting (lighting of the animation is somewhat messy).

Update with first knee corrections (not convincing yet)...

... especially the outside needs some better defined shapes (tex is still low res).

Old 07-08-2009, 05:50 AM   #8
zokana
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Zoltan Kanabe
Zurich, Switzerland

Next update: knees rebuilt and corrected. Mesh is basically the same as done with the first corrections shown above (except some minor changes).

Old 07-08-2009, 02:00 PM   #9
olivierc
3d flux capacitor

portfolio
Olivier Couston
Asset modeler
Bruxelles, Belgium

I knew a gril named Gretchen, she was so dumb. That's a really nice looking knee you got there

Old 07-08-2009, 02:26 PM   #10
energise
W..Whaaat?

portfolio
Jonas Skoog
Senior Character Artist
stockholm, Sweden

COOL! besides gretchen I truly love the scene setup! the cloth, the spinning plate she is standing on, the lighting! very nice! =)

WEBSITE

Old 07-08-2009, 05:58 PM   #11
zokana
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Zoltan Kanabe
Zurich, Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by pussycat
I knew a gril named Gretchen, she was so dumb. That's a really nice looking knee you got there

Thanks! We all have our own associations to certain names. Perhaps the most famous 'Gretchen' is known from Goethe's Faust, while today the name is't that popular, at least not in Europe. The only Gretchen I knew was a soloist ballerina from the States, but this Gretchen has absolutely nothing to do with her.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:00 PM   #12
zokana
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Zoltan Kanabe
Zurich, Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by energise
COOL! besides gretchen I truly love the scene setup! the cloth, the spinning plate she is standing on, the lighting! very nice! =)

Thanks a lot - it's a pleasure to read that! One of the reasons for this WIP thread was to get some feedback on the scenery, which I built in Alpine style of the early 20th century to match the somewhat old fashioned name. Beside that I tryed to apply some 'Polaroid' effects to enhance the antique impression.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:28 PM   #13
vsions
Proffesional Assasin

portfolio
Dennis Mejillones
Senior Character Artist
Bethesda Game Studio
Rockville, USA

Your knee is much improved. Good job. I think the bottom of the knee is still a little funky but much better than before. Make sure you use lokes of reference and from different angles. Try to see if you can find a kind of dissected image of the knee so you can see the underlying structures.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:29 AM   #14
zokana
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Zoltan Kanabe
Zurich, Switzerland

Thanks vsions for dropping in again. Building the knee was mainly a balancing between keeping the resolution and getting the needed details. But I agree with you those knees have to get an other revision.

References aren't a problem. What I was desperately looking for, were series of photos (radiographs, CTs) showing slices of the female body (especially torso and thighs). I have some drawings which might be fine to help the imagination of a painter, but for 3D they have to be more reliable. Any idea, how to get?

Old 07-09-2009, 05:43 PM   #15
vsions
Proffesional Assasin

portfolio
Dennis Mejillones
Senior Character Artist
Bethesda Game Studio
Rockville, USA

This link has some incredibly usefull links and diagrams in there. You might have to search a little but you should find what you need quickly enough.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=177

Thread Closed share thread