Revamped Female Character

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2008
dapi,
Quote: perhaps adjust just a little the shoulders of her, it looks like straight (in comparison with all rest of the body that is curved well and is smooth), or maybe is the clavicle than is too closed to the neck and not to the shoulders, and upper on the neck it seems straight also, (but maybe is the pose or to the camera's position)
finally the armpit have a strange shadow but I don't know if is for lighting

Thanks for yuor critique, you are right about the shoulders being wierd. She need quite lot more work on the skinning, especially in the shoulder area. The clavicle defaintely needs work too, that whole areas not quite right. The neck is quite straight too - I dont' think I've even omved it in this pose but will do.

Thanks for posting.

YanSan,
Quote: one thing that stands out to me is her hands look quite large and bulky for a woman

Possibly, although i did already make them quite alot smaller than they were on the previous post. I'll have look at that. Cheers man.

10 October 2008
Great work dude . keep at it

My Website

10 October 2008
Awesome work , keep it up .

I second YangSan on the hands , they seem a bit bulky for womans hands . The overall size of them seems alright just the proportion of something there that is making them feel odd.
I think the problem area might be the part of the thumb joint / heel of the hand just before where it makes the transition to the wrist

Modelling people is a hectic challenge , the slightest proportion imbalance can make things feel weird. The most common error area for female models is the waist to hip ratio , a perfect womans hip to waist ratio in width , is meant to tend towards the golden ratio or 0.68

Last edited by LinchpinZA : 10 October 2008 at 03:27 PM.

10 October 2008
Both the models look really good, I like the pose for the woman and the skin and lighting setup are amazing, only one thing, the woman's hands look a bit manly.
Male Mercenary
Female Mercenary

10 October 2008
Coming along! That male model kinda looks like me, though I'm definitely more well endowed. No real crits, cept to maybe make him less perfect, especially in the pecks. The spacing between them.

Claude

10 October 2008
I'm a 2d artist who is currently intensely studying anatomy, and to me the biggest flaw in this is that she has no chest cavity or armpits . This is why it looks so awkward (that and her hands are too big).

I changed it to show you.

Over exaggerated, but hopefully you get the idea. Hopefully it is self-explanatory for you.
I love where you are going with her though, it's a good improvement from your old one.

here are some links of ref for you:
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/...fadcf7e9cu6.jpg
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/...heprincegu6.jpg

and I know this is off-topic, but i just started post-secondary and i want to get into 3d modelling before i take classes on it. Does anyone have any beginner maya tutorials that are clear and easy to follow (it's so difficult to find good ones)? I would like to do character modeling as well, like this.
thanks in advanced!

edit: Sorry if this was redundant, i think a lot of the changes have been mentioned in the post. oh well, it helps you visually! good luck!

10 October 2008
Smile

Originally Posted by dickma: And actually I don't know should I provide critiques after... just I lost interest in doing 3D...I don't know is it appropriate (useful?).

very nice concept

10 October 2008
This is a great thread and I 've really enjoyed and learned from it.I am no where near your level ,but the thing that has got me right from the start is she still looks like two different people.Ie, from eyes up very femine but fom nose bridge down male.By this I mean her cheeks and nose are to me very manly,but her lips are great.

Like a kind of "David Coultard" jaw line very square and nose a little to long.

Anuway thanks for posting her .she is comming alomg great.

10 October 2008
Some great responses here, thanks guys.

Dmaxer, thanks man.

LinchpinZA, a good tip. I'll see how she compares to the ratio. The hands are being mentioned a lot - definately my first thing to fix.

hoodedpython, yep those hand need work for sure. Thanks for posting.

davidwAde,

Quote: That male model kinda looks like me, though I'm definitely more well endowed

Haha! I'll take your word for it Point taken on the pecs.

Evicted,

Quote: he biggest flaw in this is that she has no chest cavity or armpits . This is why it looks so awkward (that and her hands are too big).

Good call. She does need a bigger chest cavity. I think the arm pits are there, just a bit lost at the moment with the smaller chest - and the raised arm definately needs working on. Score 3 for the hands. They're booked in for a refit asap. Thanks for taking the time, really appreciated

Quote: Does anyone have any beginner maya tutorials that are clear and easy to follow (it's so difficult to find good ones)? I would like to do character modeling as well, like this

Personally I don't but then I'm a Max man. I'd say you don't specifically need a character modeling tutorial, just get good at modeling simple stuff at a polygon level then apply your anatomy knowledge to that process. And be prepeared to spend weeks working on him/her :-)

jialulu527, not sure what you mean?

Abe,

Quote: the thing that has got me right from the start is she still looks like two different people.Ie, from eyes up very femine but fom nose bridge down male.By this I mean her cheeks and nose are to me very manly,but her lips are great.

Like a kind of "David Coultard" jaw line very square and nose a little to long.

Intersting. I'm not agreeing with you entirely but I appreciate your input. I think she's got a fair way to go to take on the Coulthard but perhaps it could be smoothed out a bit. Glad you're enjoying the progression, thanks for posting.

Last edited by pseudonympending : 10 October 2008 at 10:06 PM.

10 October 2008
Holiday!

I've got a week off so I won't be able to make any posts for a while. I'm not abandoning this porject though, far from it. I'll be back with a vengence and ready to move this thing to the next level.

Cheers,
Dave

10 October 2008
Thumbs up excellent work

my 2 pence for what it's worth is, "she needs a little more hip, stomach and a little more length of thigh, leg", "she seems to looks a little too squat", "the lower shins are far too slim and give her feet a slight club foot look" but it realy is awe inspiring work, "how many hours do you think you have put into her"??????? and as for the eye lashes, no one has perfect eyes or lashes, i would step away from cloned eyes and add a map to one of her eyes to crteate imperfections, maybe even a light vein from tear duct side, not sure how detailed your finished product will be though, so maybe not, same with her lashes..., ooo to be clear, i am only voicing my opinion and it has no intention to hurt anyones feelings

hope you all find your pixel eutopia
Quote: never look a gift horse in the mouth

10 October 2008
Maybe they need their back and shoulders wider, I think.

Something like that.

I think that would make her more stylized.

EDIT: Yeah, just like Evicted said

Last edited by HuttsLorD : 10 October 2008 at 02:22 PM.

10 October 2008
Thumbs up Loving it

any chance of seeing her side profile as well, might even help with a 45 degree cam on her, i think as far as body shape is concerened though, your as close as you can get to real without her looking mannequin like, always suprises me how modelling seems to be going the same way real life ones are after the visit from mr photoshop

still on a point of interest, dont know if its just me but she still seems to have thick hands and feet for her age, size, weight, when i say thick i mean thickness in her hands and wide in her feet, might be just me hence would like to see her on her side..

superb work though

Quote: don't look a gift horse in the mouth

10 October 2008
@ pseudonympending: the proportions are really off - i hope my little overpaint helps you more than it bothers you. far from done, but just to point you in the (imho) right direction

regards

11 November 2008
Hi all, I'm back from holiday and have returned to some great posts.

It looks fairly unaimous that the chest and shoulder areas need some work , specifically some widening. Below I have summarised the reposnses from everyone and will work systematically through the list - not everything will necessarily be changed but I will at least assess it against my reference material.

Thanks for everyone who's taken time to post, especially the paint-overs.

To do:

Widen chest
Upper leg to lower leg ratio (more thigh)
Widen hips
Bigger stomach
Raise belly button
Less prominent collar bones
Make hands smaller and slimmer
Make feet slimmer
Make eyes/eyelashes assymetrical
Shorten nose
Jaw smoother

Hopefully wtih all these areas done she'll be getting there. Not sure when I 'll be able to get to this as have all the usual post-holiday sorting out to first.

If anyone wants to add to this list in the meantime then please do.

Thanks again to everyone who's posted.

Dave

PS, bad-sector, I'd say somewhere between 50 and 100 hours - it's impossible to say as this is the second time around from the original model.

Last edited by pseudonympending : 11 November 2008 at 03:59 PM.

Thread Closed share thread