MGAC - 42 - The future, circa 1950

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2007   #16
Can we get a glow map in this? I know that's asking for a lot. It could be up to 5 maps. Would that be to intense for an engine?

Old 06 June 2007   #17
Originally Posted by mrgrotey: [edit] well ok so now my post looks stupid because you removed the pic boooooo!!

Ok, I added it back so now I look stupid.

Juddwack, I agree glows are essential to 1950s futuristic.

Old 06 June 2007   #18
5 maps off a single model... I dunno, probably not too intense but I think the restrictions are pretty lenient already.

Fake glow with the opacity map, or apply a glow shader if you've got one. Or lie and say you used a glow shader, I won't dispute that. Somebody else might, but hey, I'm the judge today.

Old 06 June 2007   #19
Hope there are more posts this week!

Heres what I have so far. Will update the final here as well:

color and texture studies:

Old 06 June 2007   #20
Those are great CodeNothing. The glass area reminds me a bit of amp valves.

~M~

Old 06 June 2007   #21
Holy sh!t, that looks great! Do you have geometry under the dome? Just wondering how your glass texture will be handled. I have a design for my own robot done (different than the one I posted) but frankly, I'm not sure it will fit the tri budget.

Old 06 June 2007   #22
Just a small thing I thought of CodeNothing. How about making him slightly less symmetrical- specifically the arms? Nothing too drastic though.

Anyway, looks great.

~M~

Old 06 June 2007   #23
Thanks guys!

blacker: yea Im gona use a transparency on the dome, and I have a very small amount of geometry under there.

Mindrot: I see what you mean about the symetry. I think maybe I should change one of the claw hands to some sort of tool maybe. Im pushed right to the 700 limit with 698 tri, so subtracrion and shifting things is realy the only option I have right now. And texture, Ill try and mix it up a bit there too. Thanks!

Old 06 June 2007   #24
Codenothing: You could probably get away with intersecting meshes instead of splitting the poly at the shoulder joint. That should save you a few tris.

I can't wait to see the textured product, your concepts look pretty interesting.

Old 06 June 2007   #25
CodeNothing, as mentioned earlier, you really want to split your mesh up. For example, the mesh can be three different elements, it doesn't have to be one single welded entity. That will save you a lot of tris and the same goes for the glass dome, have it as a separte mesh that intersects the "shoulders", save another couple of tris. Love the concept but the arms feel a bit spindly and the shoulder area looks a bit weird. Maybe scale the shoulder pads up so they are wider than they are now? The look of your texture concept is a lot better but the mesh is smaller if you know what I mean?

Old 06 June 2007   #26
All right CodeNothing, you and me.. rock em' sock em' robots.. My bot is 98% done (modeling) he just needs hands and feet. The downside... I've only got a budget of 20 tris left! I think I'm gonna have to reduce a bit as I'm already using some intersecting geometry to get the detail I need!

I'll upload some pics tonight when I get home from work and get a chance to make some hands and feet.

I'm really liking the way it's turning out, I've even rigged him using locators and rotate constraints . I'm a little worried about texturing though with all the intersecting geometry. I'm hoping an ambient occlusion pass will help me out a bit when I get to texturing...

Old 06 June 2007   #27
Well, I made 700 triangles. (edit: I missed 5 interior faces; total now stands at 695 tris) I had hoped to put pincers on at least one arm but I had to change the design up a little. This is a front and side ortho view and a 3/4 perspective. Hopefully I'll do the full unwrap tomorrow (should be the easiest unwrap I've ever done! ) and texture tomorrow and Sunday. Too bad it's not due on the 4th or 5th, I'd love the extra time, but we'll see what happens...

Last edited by blacker : 06 June 2007 at 07:12 AM.

Old 07 July 2007   #28
tri saving

You can save 16 tris if you do this instead of what you have with a very minimal change to your silhouette:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v...ent=50sbot2.jpg

that'd give you 21 tris left so maybe you could make a pincer or two for him/her/it! The indention in the belt region may not be entirely necessary with geometry either. Removing that and texturing the shadow that suggests the indent could save you another whopping 36 tris (if my count is correct)! Given the simplicty of your current hands I think you'd do well to reallocate some of that geometry and give him/her/it some nice '50s style pincers at least!

Overall it looks pretty nice. Can't wait to see some textures on him/her/it

Old 07 July 2007   #29
Originally Posted by monkeynutz: You can save 16 tris if you do this instead of what you have with a very minimal change to your silhouette:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v...ent=50sbot2.jpg

that'd give you 21 tris left so maybe you could make a pincer or two for him/her/it! The indention in the belt region may not be entirely necessary with geometry either. Removing that and texturing the shadow that suggests the indent could save you another whopping 36 tris (if my count is correct)! Given the simplicty of your current hands I think you'd do well to reallocate some of that geometry and give him/her/it some nice '50s style pincers at least!

Overall it looks pretty nice. Can't wait to see some textures on him/her/it

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'll probably reduce the lens. The rest I'm going to keep as is though. I'd like to keep the little face screen thing curved like that. The indentation in the belt part is actually a complete separation. That is his hip pivot point so while it is definitely a waste of geometry in this pose, it will look good when he's actually pivoting. I probably could stand to lose the faces on the upper part of it as it would be hidden unless viewed from below, but I'm hoping to have it stand up from all angles.

Thanks again! UV mapping is basically done now. Hopefully I get the time to texture!

Old 07 July 2007   #30
Ooooh, looking sweet. I'm excited to see both robots finished and textured! Bonus points if you actually make a "rock-em, sock-em robots" video with the two.

When I said "Midnight on Monday" what I meant was 11:59pm Sunday, submitted before Monday... but due to the bad wording on my part I'll give until the end of Monday before I do any judging of submissions. That means you all have until Tuesday, July 3rd. If the winner posts a "4th of July" theme just because their topic comes up on the 4th... well...

Anyway, I have an Austin Mini to insure, so good luck to everybody!

Thread Closed share thread