.:Amazon Head Huntress:. [Nudity]

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2006
Excellent work Diffused! Looks like she's coming along just fine. Don't really have anything to critique really since a lot of people have already given you some really good ones. Can't wait to see your new updates.

As far as the characteristics of an Amazon goes, they usually have one of their breast cut out just like what some people have already mentioned. Cutting it will give her an interesting twist, but I don't think it is a good idea. I would think that she will turn out to be fairly disturbing at the end. Also, I have never come across any amazon artworks where they only have a breast. So why does she need to have her's cut? And I do agree with PixelZombie that cutting the breast isn't really important here, it's more of her anatomy as a whole.

If people are still insisting about the breast, one work around is just like what PixelZombie mentioned, give her a half-plate chest armor or the likes. The example I can think of is the Japanese Kyudo (Way of the Bow) gears for females. In terms of the Kyudo population goes, it is said that there are more females than males and I have never heard anything about them having to cut off one of their breasts. In anyway, below is an example of the female Kyudo gear:

Hope this will give people a second thought on the idea.

12 December 2006
Wow Lots of interesting comments.
Here is an update on the anatomy side of things. I'm still trying to get my head around my helmet idea, so thats still under heavy construction. Lets just say there are skulls and feathers involved.

A few more hours of work and I think I'll move on to the armor.
If you guys see anything that stands out and looks weird, let me know!
This is my first attempt at real anatomy.

Karko - Thanks

learner88 - Thank you, aand i've replaced the old wireframe with a better one. I sculpted on her after I subdivided her a few times, yes.

Per-Anders- I'm not gonna do it.

Kurosaki Ichigo - Yea, I've got an idea to cover it using some drapery.

PixelZombie- Thank you. I'm planning on giving her wrist bands and other accessories.

rybeck- Face was sculpted free hand in Mudbox, along with everything else. Rig is very simple, aand is not tuned for animation at all, just a posing rig with lots of clean up.

Carbon- Thanks

Orrochi- Hey Kevin! Glad to see you posting here. Awesome picture!! Thanks for the heads up.

Quote: [01] The word Amazon is of unknown origin, however a folk etymology popped up which explained the word as being a deriviative of the preface "a-", meaning "without", followed by "mazos", meaning "breast". This folk etymology was supported by the folktale that Amazons cut off one breast to facilitate archery. However, this is most likely a story designed to discourage women from taking up archery. This speculation is supported by even the most casual observation of modern day female archers who are more than capable of using the bow with all breasts intact. [02] Historically, Amazons were portrayed as beautiful women in Amazonomachies, which was an artform showing battles between the Amazons and Greeks. Amazons were trained to use all weapons and especially in single combat. They were honorable, courageous, brave and represented rebellion against sexism. Their tales spread quickly and soon stories of the Amazons were everywhere, including Africa, Asia, Europe, South America (the Amazon River was named after the female warriors), and North America in the mid-1900s with the comic book hero, Wonder Woman. The following is a list of eighty-two Amazons from Greek myth.

- http://www.whoosh.org/issue12/ruffel3.html

www.markkobrin.com

Last edited by Diffused : 01 January 2007 at 07:17 AM.

12 December 2006
Diffused,

Wow... You should have one hella steady drawing hand... It is great piece for sure.
I saw many "happy" artisits who have been worked with Mudbox, and I am so jealous...
Can you give us user comments about mud box if you don't mind?

12 December 2006
Looking great. Her left foot toes look strange though.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=379941

Looking For All Artist Available!

12 December 2006
Smile

It's an amazing software. Literally like airbrushing volume onto a canvas. Most people compare it to Zbrush, which seems logical. But as a user of both, I would say Mudbox is more comfortable because you see your mesh smoothed in real time and in perspective as you sculpt on it. Also, the layer system is amazing. I find myself doing tests. Make a layer, test something out and if i don't like it, hide it or delete it. The layer acts as a blendshape. Often times i find myself importing an earlier model as a layer and messing with the mask to change some aspects of the musculature back to it's earlier state but keeping the rest of the geometry up to date. Mix and Match.
Also, the tangent symmetry option kicks ASS. I can sculpt in symmetry while in a pose. I find myself turning it on when I, for instance, have to work on the ears. They should look the same on both sides, but the head's location is off axis and the tangent symmetry allows me to do the changes i need to do without any major pipeline changes.
I really cant say enough good things about it.

-- And yea, toes. I'll fix.

www.markkobrin.com

12 December 2006
Is mudbox a hassle in rotating objects and such like zbrush?

12 December 2006
Not at all. It has Maya's controls!

www.markkobrin.com

12 December 2006
Sweet! I always get discouraged with zbrush because it takes so much process just to rotate a model and draw on it. Thanks for the answers.

12 December 2006
hi,
nice model there! the thing that bothers me the most is that since she is looking behind in such a twisted pose, the ribcage stays nearly straight in ur model and i think it should be more twisted/rotated, i think it will give a more natulral feeling...just my thoughts here!

12 December 2006
Originally Posted by metamesh: hi,
nice model there! the thing that bothers me the most is that since she is looking behind in such a twisted pose, the ribcage stays nearly straight in ur model and i think it should be more twisted/rotated, i think it will give a more natulral feeling...just my thoughts here!

Wow, its Metamesh!

- I kind of understand your point, but could you maybe illustrate it further? I'm having trouble visualizing how the ribcage should twist in that pose. Since its all bone and thick cartilage, I didnt think it would bend at all. Maybe draw like a line across the ribcage just to give me an idea. Thank you!!

www.markkobrin.com

12 December 2006
smokin'! very nice model- can't wait for texturing and hair. The back muscles could be SLIGHTLY broader in the small of the back. Toes are a little "curly". overall, a GREAT start!

12 December 2006
When I read metamesh's comment, what I think he meant was that your ribcage (torso) and pelvis is pretty much inline with each other. Both of them are turned, but both of them have very similar angles, felt like you turned the whole body together instead of having an individual turn for the torso and the pelvis.

In this extreme pose, it is possible to have it as it is, but with the torso and pelvis inline with each other makes her body area looks stiff. So what I think metamesh wants is you to turn her torso more, not twisting the ribcage.

In anyway, you may have the torso turned to the extreme already, but the renders may not show it that well. One suggestion is to look at your model from top view and see your angle relationship between the torso and the pelvis.

Hope my interpretation is correct. Please correct me if I am wrong.

12 December 2006
Here is a small render test.
Rendered in passes, with occlusion.
*problem solved* Thanks Ichigo
just a test...I like the camera angle

Mijaba - thanks, yea toes and fingers are a nightmare to sculpt. I'll keep working on em though.

Orrochi - I agree, I'll try and fix that for the next update. The list of things to fix is growing crazy fast with all this awesome feedback. Keep it coming

www.markkobrin.com

Last edited by Diffused : 12 December 2006 at 08:06 AM.

12 December 2006
Using TGA? Turn off Pre - Multiplied, see if it works.

12 December 2006
A friend of mine, Patrick Doran, gave me a good photoshop overlay. I thought it would be beneficial If I posted it here.

www.markkobrin.com

Thread Closed share thread