Caliban - WIP

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2006
Caliban - WIP

Hello. I'm in the process of building Caliban from Shakespeare's The Tempest - for my own amusement. There is not much in the way of description; some of the characters can't decide whether he is a man or a fish so that's my starting point. The head will be decidedly fishy, but the body is more frog-like in design - bulbous chest, reduced ribs, wide joints and long fore arms and legs. Because I want him to look natural on all fours, I've moved the arms further forward like a quadruped. But instead of having the shoulder blades flush against the sides of the ribcage, I've curled them round like a shell.

I'm building the character as a skeleton/muscle rig that will deform and define the skin. I've added controllers for the wrist twist and for snapping the patella into the femur's groove when the leg bends.

As far as the muscles go, I've done the arms, legs and feet. Still some tweaking to be done to make it look natural but at the same time sharp enough to effect the skin. I'll post examples later this week. I'm using the cgMuscle primitive - from ACT - which is a parametric, uncapped cylinder that bulges when you squish it with dummies. A subtle example:

Few more views:

Thanks for reading my first thread :o)

11 November 2006
Very nice bone structure. I look forward to seeing this skinned

11 November 2006
awesome model so far. Looking forward your net steps.

11 November 2006
Very, very cool!

I look forward to following the progress!

11 November 2006
Wow very nice work! You guy have a strong sense of anatomy, this is nice.
Modeling looks perfect and even render is yet simple but very efective.
I'm sure this will end up very very beautyfully!

I wish I was running the same cgMuscle system on my current wip, looks very nice. Anyhow just for pleasure I'll follow this one. Don't hesitate to be very detailed on this, I'm very interested.

Thanks for sharing ^^

11 November 2006
Arm Setup

Thanks for the feedback! I've made a few images of the limb muscles in action - this is where I am at the moment with the project. The muscles love to do their own thing, so I've pummelled them into submission through wiring. They have to hit specific 'shapes' when the bones rotate - bit like pose to pose animation. I've removed some muscles so that the eventual topology will have more pits and peaks...well, that's the theory.

I'm having to fake collisions between the bones and muscles, so there is the odd bit of clipping.

The muscle design is a mixture of seal and human, but it's bone shape that's mostly dictating the look.

11 November 2006
...and Legs.

Thighs of an Cross Channel Swimmer, waist of a Ballerina...

Next is...bottoms & pecs.

Last edited by Piek : 11 November 2006 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Text error.

11 November 2006
wow, this is pretty sweet man! Do you have any of the "skin" modeled yet, or is this project going completely from the inside out (bones-muscle-skin)?

11 November 2006
Once again this is right on time inspiration for me, i'm so glad you share this with us!
I find a superb work of synthesis there (although with this level of detail it is almost not synthesis anymore ^^ ). That enables me to revise the anatomy in a quite sympatic and ludic way.
So... thanks again.

And of course, I am in a hurry to see where you go and what that will give once animated/put in scene: that really promises very good stuff.

11 November 2006
Unicron - Yes, it's an inside-outer. Once the muscles are in place I'm going to 'shrink wrap' skin around it. Who knows, it might even work!

SHTL - Thank you, I'll try to post an update before the weekend.

11 November 2006
Looks awesome, cant wait to see how it evolves.

11 November 2006
I never post here. But i have to this time. This is insane. I've always wanted to use muscles but kept running into issues. cant wait to see some deformation. i drool over these pics. haha.

11 November 2006
This is looking great, keeping my eye on this one! voted for ya! NICE!
Bones look very good so far.. Keep it up

CHARACTER DESIGN

11 November 2006
GJeoffreys - Thank you, I have a vague road map for it's evolution - it's just taking longer than expected.

Sinclair - I've seen this before, you post once in a forum, before you know it you're posting all over the place...it's a slippery slope :o) Thanks for the comments.

MVDB - Dank u wel voor de sterritjes (?). I apologise for the spelling, grammar etc.

Update soon...ish.

11 November 2006
Very impressived, What is "Caliban" though?

Thread Closed share thread