another female celebriity head attempt

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2006
at the risk of sounding a fanboy, im sorry but you must be the best patch modeller ive een in a long time.

Both pieces are amazing, show us the wire of the gene model. Cant beleieve that a patch model aswell.

Great work, keep it up.

01 January 2006
Great!! wireframe plzz =))

01 January 2006
very cool

different from the usual faces we have here.

I instantly recognize Sharon Stone and Arnold S. huhu

01 January 2006
excellent job ! very nice wire and studies! !

01 January 2006
excellentw

Absolutely fantastic work, the fatty skin on the cheeks looks brilliant, cant wait to see this with a good skin shader and texture, truly one of the best modelled character heads I have ever seen, I would give you 6 stars if I could.

01 January 2006
both Audrey and Gene look great! I think you should soften and smooth her up a bit because the creases on her cheeks and the bumps on the chin and the rest of the face make her look older than she was when the original picture was taken. Still awesome modeling

01 January 2006
truly excellent modeling, and in NURBS! both are instantly recognizable, and you've really captured Audrey in a mesmerizing expression which looks very much alive. top notch stuff! oh, and I would also love to see the nurbs wire for Gene if it's not to much hassle.

01 January 2006
stunning models
Gene Hackman is xtremely real even without shading
you are truely an artist, 5 stars
how long did it take you ?

01 January 2006
Have to agree with everyone else: Very good likenesses of both Gene Hackman and Audrey Hepburn - No doubt as to who either one was right away.
Definately some of the best CG models of famous people I've seen in these forums.
I'm giving you something I rarely if ever give -5 Stars.
Now, hows about a wire of Gene?

EDIT-What software(s) do you use?

Last edited by webhead : 01 January 2006 at 04:48 AM.

01 January 2006
The people here are right. These are very well done models based on likeness. And to think you actually did it using nurbs patch is truly mind blowing. I wonder why you'd still prefer it to do it that way though, is that still what they teach in your school?

You are definitely one of the better head modelers in this site, and i am looking forward to seeing these textured.

01 January 2006

Hello, folks. First, I am very surprised and did not expect such compliments. I just hoped I could get more feedback or comments. (but I am so grateful)
First of all, here's the wire. Sorry its a bit sloppy since I was in a hurry.
(Did some mountain climbing today so I was actually sleeping the rest of the day home.)

For Gene's hair I used a muti resolution junction(so called 'T-junction') in Maya to get some more resolution on the hair. (There could be some ways I could extract some displacement maps created by nurbs patchs like they did on the troll giant in the lord or the ring series. but I guess I'm too lazy to figure out how) The mesh is made to be used as a portfolio piece so I didn't quite mind that it might get a bit heavy).
I am looking forward to use zbrush with polys as well and continue my studies in my last semester.

I think these models put me into a lot of pain and agony since I wanted to create some models which are recognizable to people. When I started to make Gene I was learning how to patch and at the time I was juggling with a couple of models so I don't really can't tell how long it took. (One thing for sure is that I think I could do a faster job in the future.)
btw,our school (AAU)has a nurbs patch modeling class which made me learn the proccess.
I kind of like nurbs since its very light and the data size is very low.(Gene is only 1.7 megas).

I am glad that the models are recongnizable to some folks here and will try to fix the models with the valuable critics and comments you have given me.
I will soon post some of my bad/weak heads I'm really not satisfied to get more feedback and critiques as I go on.Thank you for your feedback and compliments. I am so grateful and will try to do a better job.

Further feedback and critiques are very welcome.
Jinwoo Lee

Last edited by jjcoolio : 01 January 2006 at 10:06 AM.

01 January 2006
really nice models, it's very difficult to do models of real people and get people to recognise them, and you did it, congrats!

01 January 2006
wow, thanks for the wireframe on Gene, again I'm amazed at the intricate skin detailing you've been able to do in nurbs. you mentioned T-Junction, when I searched on it I found this:

http://www.tsplines.com/maya/index.html

are you using this plugin with maya, or is t-junction natively supported?
anyway, seems NURBS have progressed since the last time I tried them, and your work definately shows them off in all their capacity.

01 January 2006
Cool G. Hackman

Really dig the Hackman model. He is so full of grim radiance and you've captured it.

Thread Closed share thread