New to the forum! Would like to share my first environment WIP

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

3 Weeks Ago
New to the forum! Would like to share my first environment WIP

Hello everyone!

Very excited to join the forum and looking forward to talking with many of you about your own work. This is my first time posting and would like to share what I've been working on.. I'm currently studying 3D modeling and animation at Sacramento City College and an aspiring 3D Environment Artist. Although I've been using some Adobe programs off and on for some time, this is my first serious attempt at learning digital media and my 8th week into my program. I created this image using Modo and would love any critique y'all have for me. I'm not totally sold on the ground yet, but overall it seems to be in a good place. For my concept, I imagined an abandoned shack somewhere in the icy mountains. I knew I wanted dramatic lighting and some serious foreground shadows. I mostly wanted to focus on composition (camera angle) and lighting for this project.

Thanks so much and hope to hear from you all soon!

Last edited by MJWhite : 3 Weeks Ago at 08:29 AM.

3 Weeks Ago
I think you only set your image as a thumbnail and put only in your portfolio, and didn't actually set one in the post, I don't see it here, it becomes difficult to actually see what's going on.

Anyway, As the trees are not any shadows (any particular reason why? from that angle the sun should cast very long shadows even if it's kinda hidden behind the mountain) it totally feels like there is something off, with it overall.
The ground would appreciate a little more resolution but I think as a flow it's going pretty ok except for maybe the mountains in the background, they feel like they are a bit too steep too soon if they have to be that soft. That kind of cliff usually requires a rocky, rough, surface.
The shack is ok overall but the fact that the light is on without a motive (magic?) bothers me a little bit. add something, a generator with a cable, a telephone pole with a cable, something that connects to that shack or the light so it has a motive to be on.
Think always of your story together with everything else. I would also fill a little bit more the right side of the image with something that belongs to the shack, have a reason to have a shack there, I don't know, remains of a farm or some random debris (but don't get too much carried away, as the shack is your main focus).
But yeah, keep working on, it's a good start to a good piece

3 Weeks Ago
Thank you! I honestly didn't even notice the shadows!! I appreciate your critique man and I totally agree with everything you said. I'm going to continue working on this project and I'll post updates.

reply share thread