WIP - Interior Project for University

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

09 September 2017
WIP - Interior Project for University

Hieveryone!

This year I've got a few projects on the go for my university course. This project here is one part of a set of two projects, where we need to model, texture and light both an exterior and interior scene to a photorealistic standard.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated as I post updates, as I really want my work to be the best it can.

My interior scene is being designed around a combination of the below:

Last edited by joshoantonio : 2 Weeks Ago at 11:19 PM.

09 September 2017
This is where I'm currently at with the modelling... I'll keep posting as I make progress.

Feedback welcome.

09 September 2017
Here's the first pass with some textures added to the scene. Still, a long way to go...

Feedback would be appreciated at this stage, thanks

4 Weeks Ago
Okay, so we were told that we had to light the scene to match a genre; I chose the crime drama genre.

Research:

Straight away it was clear that all three shows share a similarteal and orangecolour scheme, which is popular due to how well those two colours compliment each other. It is used widely in Hollywood blockbusters, however, what sets it apart here is howdesaturatedit is in these shows. The desaturated look gives the genre acolder and bleaker appearancewhich suits the themes and stories that get told.

The examples consist of quite a lot ofcontrast, I suppose that this is because the shots lack in colour but still create visual interest in the whiteand black levels of the frame.

Looking at the screenshots from each example, they almost could be the same film, the style is very similar and ties the genre together well. My scene at the moment is quite warm and well lit, however, from this point on the style of the genre will be a heavyinfluence on the choices I make.

Here is where I'm currently at:

My scene has changed a lot since my last post. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Changes:

- Fix the glass in shower as it blocks light
- Try a shower curtain
- Add blinds to windows

4 Weeks Ago
You have a good start here, really.
What i think you should do now, is to alter the surface of the shaders. Something like hand's mark on the glass,the mirror and wall, subtles scratches on the floor! Because for now, you more have an "IKEA" look.
You can also play with image composition, to give the eye a direction to look at.

Be careful with lighting too, some parts are burned to pure white! As you can see on your references, there's almost no pure white in the image.

3 Weeks Ago
ThanksHugo for the feedback! I've gone back through the shaders and tried to add extra layers of details, still more work to do. I feel maybe thesubtle scratches and marks are maybe a tad too subtle, what do you think?

I've added some more clutter to the scene and I feel it's starting to feel more lived in, though, I believe it needs more.

Feedback hugely appreciated!

2 Weeks Ago
Just another progress update...

Tasks Done:
- I've added subtle volumetrics
- Removed water drip normal from shower glass, played around with roughness maps
- Add even more clutter and extra details, such as footprints across floor

Changes:
- Try and work out a better composition
- Add blinds to the windows
- Smash mirror
- Remove fireflies from transmission

reply share thread