Main Battle Tank

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

09 September 2017
Main Battle Tank

Hi there!
Couple days ago I decided to pick up one of my tank sketches and go forward with it.
Main idea behind this project is to create something original based on current tech. Tank should be aggressive and as sexy as tank can be.
A bit later ill toss in some ideas about personalisation of this baby...
Currently I am in blockout phase, so I'm quite open to suggestions and critique

Last edited by Glumais : 09 September 2017 at 03:11 PM.

09 September 2017
I read the term 'blockout phase' and looked at the images and thought this looks a little beyond blocking out. Those treads are wonderfully detailed just what little I see. In fact it get the impression you just need to up the resolution/smoothing on some parts and it's ready for texture mapping. I'm a bit curious about the size of the turret ring compare to it's depth at the back and it's relation to the engine. Am I correct in assuming the extra length is ammo storage? Also are those side launchers field reloadable? If so I can see the back of the turret carrying at least one reload for those as well as the shells for the main gun which would limit returning to the back line for more missiles if the crew gets time to stop. When you want an aggressive tank looking like it can carry enough ammo to stay in the field when others must withdraw is definitely a win.

Eyeballing the size of the secondary armament I'm guessing those are more for 'soft target' vehicles and AA defence. Bore looks a little large for anti-personnel but without a figure for scale I'm imagining someone in the commander's hatch. Have you considered a barrel break on the muzzle? Many tanks seem to have them nowadays with the need to divert the gases/blast to keep the visual signature down when firing. Last question: The vent looking plates bolted to the tread covers what are they? My first thought was maybe lights for brake/turning when on base/transport loading. Second thought was vision cameras for some reason. Last thought was they're vents off the tread for some reason. Overall impression this is an impressive futuristic tank that does look like the future is no more than three years from now. I look forward to what else you'll detail it with.

Thus ends the ramble.

09 September 2017
Thanks for you awesome feedback! I will definitely borrow some of your ideas
But for now, slight update with more appropriate barrel and subsurfaced versions of this beast.

Speaking about detailing, Im planning to place this tank in scenario, where it has been waging war for years, placing some utilities, damaged armor, warpaint and [place your ideas here]...

...Stay tuned for an update...

09 September 2017
That's getting nice. Do you plan on modeling alternate parts with damage to switch out or going to bump map impacts and gouges?

4 Weeks Ago
In the ideal case, I want to make it realy !@#$ed up. Blown reactive armor pieces, trashed rear cage, bent antena. Definitely dents from shells, that bounced off the armor, [...your suggestions...]

4 Weeks Ago
...Starting to add some textures

4 Weeks Ago
I honestly think that if you gave it a pewter colored base to sit on and rendered/shopped in a tabletop with some model paints and brushes you totally could fool someone into thinking this was an expertly painted game miniature or even a small scale kit. That's some good quality work to get that feel.

reply share thread