WIP: Gothic/Sci-Fi Citadel (Advice and Critique Appreciated!)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

09 September 2017
Alright, so I'm currently just continuing to use my non brick texture for the side pillars. I'm not sure if I should change or not, but here's some more progress:

09 September 2017
Alright, so some updates to the textures on the side pillars (I don't know what they are called, but this roughly follows Gothic architecture, so maybe someone can inform me?)

I still really feel like I'm missing something. I don't really know what, but in general, somewhere, something is missing. I really want to try to push quality overall, so I'm not sure where I'm lacking.

09 September 2017
Some more texturing updates:

09 September 2017
You should improve on the lighting. Right now it seems that the model is lighted evenly from all sides, but for the rest of the scene, it's dark. I would suggest putting only one light source and putting it on the right side of the cathedral as viewed from the camera.
If you put light source in the same direction that camera is looking you will never get goof results.
I can't see any shadows - do you have shadows on?

09 September 2017
Originally Posted by I14R10: You should improve on the lighting. Right now it seems that the model is lighted evenly from all sides, but for the rest of the scene, it's dark. I would suggest putting only one light source and putting it on the right side of the cathedral as viewed from the camera.
If you put light source in the same direction that camera is looking you will never get goof results.
I can't see any shadows - do you have shadows on?
Right, so shadows were on, but it seems there were a ton of sky-dome lights that I didn't realize were there. Now that I'm paying some more attention to lighting, I've deleted all but one light source, which is a directional light coming from the twin moons. Here's what it looks like:

It's probably necessary to add in another directional light that illuminates the scene a bit more, but perhaps with shadows turned off. Your thoughts?

09 September 2017
Can you show us the entire scene? Are you putting the background in post-render?
There is no need to put a second light source in there. It should be fine with only one.
Can you do a screenshot of the model (not rendered image)? Can you show me your render settings? Something is wrong here. You have a good model, but with good lighting it will look great. Lighting is very very important part of the realistic models. Poor lighting can make image bad no matter how good the modeling is.

09 September 2017
Originally Posted by I14R10: Can you show us the entire scene? Are you putting the background in post-render?
There is no need to put a second light source in there. It should be fine with only one.
Can you do a screenshot of the model (not rendered image)? Can you show me your render settings? Something is wrong here. You have a good model, but with good lighting it will look great. Lighting is very very important part of the realistic models. Poor lighting can make image bad no matter how good the modeling is.
Alright, so the background is an HDRI sky sphere image on an aiSky texture (an internal Arnold texture), so I don't believe it's a post render compositing, but I could be wrong (I'm still pretty new to some aspects of CG, so I could be wrong). Here's some screen shots of the scene and my render settings:

Lighting has never been my strongest point honestly. Any ideas?

09 September 2017
Originally Posted by I14R10: Can you show us the entire scene? Are you putting the background in post-render?
One other thing I considered is that it might be that the HDRI sky sphere (the background) is too close to the models. I've wanted to try to scale them out and get something more distant, but it's been tough getting that to work. What do you think?

Open to suggestions from anyone, by the way.

09 September 2017
Some more updates. I've finished texturing some more of the side towers. I'm also thinking I really should get rid of the HDRI. It's not working very well, now that I've examined other angles:

09 September 2017
I can't help you with lighting setup, I am not familiar with your program. But I still can't see any shadows. This looks to me that the model is lighted from all sides. Do you have some kind of ambient light on?

09 September 2017
Originally Posted by I14R10: I can't help you with lighting setup, I am not familiar with your program. But I still can't see any shadows. This looks to me that the model is lighted from all sides. Do you have some kind of ambient light on?
It's probably the HDRI shader that's throwing the light at the model. The background is a Arnold sky shader, so it uses image based lighting I believe. I'm thinking of getting rid of it, since I wanted to do a more snowy/colder setting anyways.

Anyone have tips tips for creating the background of a piece?

09 September 2017
Alright, so I axed the HDRI skysphere, and look what's appeared? SHADOWS! Check it out:

09 September 2017
So it looks like the light was bouncing off of the sky sphere. Here's the sky sphere texture and unlinked directional light:

EDIT: I've also finished texturing some more pieces of the model.

Last edited by deltaKshatriya : 09 September 2017 at 02:35 AM.

09 September 2017
My latest update: I've decided to try to model in some mountains and have changed the lighting to seem a bit more moonlight like. I'm not sure I like how the mountains have come out so far, however:

I also definitely need to work on the sky and background. I'm not super sure what to put there.

reply share thread