WIP: Gothic/Sci-Fi Citadel (Advice and Critique Appreciated!)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

08 August 2017
Originally Posted by I14R10: Yes, that is right about the instancing.

I haven't worked in maya, but of course it will be slower with 10 million polys than with 10 thousand polys. But that's not really a problem because you are not making a game ready model.
Alright, so here's a quick try at this new method, no textures applied:

08 August 2017
Looks much better in my opinion.

08 August 2017
Some more texturing progress, with the geometry bricks!

I definitely need to randomize a bit more with the textures on the bricks. It looks too uniform I feel. I'd love to hear feedback though!

08 August 2017
I tried to break up the uniformity a bit here:

08 August 2017
Some more texture variation and a close up of the updated brick textures:

08 August 2017
More bricks going up!

08 August 2017
So what do people think of the current brick texture and set up? (Here's some close up pics)

08 August 2017
Some more progress! I'm slowly texturing more pieces!

08 August 2017
I've started to texture the pillars as well! Not sure if it works well, however.

09 September 2017
More progress on the side pillars. Those UVs were murderous, and I'm still not quite finished. What do people think of my initial concept?

09 September 2017
Here's another shot of it. I'd love to know what people think of the texturing choices.

09 September 2017
I'm updating the environment and scene to reflect more what I want it to look like. Does anyone know where I could get a good (hopefully free) HDRI map of a night, arctic area?

09 September 2017
One other thing I'm not sure about is whether to use bricks on the side pillars or to stick with the texture I just added. Any thoughts?

09 September 2017
Originally Posted by deltaKshatriya: One other thing I'm not sure about is whether to use bricks on the side pillars or to stick with the texture I just added. Any thoughts?

If you aren't going to render it from closeup, I would say, make it as a texture.

09 September 2017
Originally Posted by I14R10: If you aren't going to render it from closeup, I would say, make it as a texture.
Well most of my renders won't be very close up, so I may end up keeping this. Currently there's no bricks, textured or otherwise.

I'm also just wondering if the texture works. What does it read as to you? Does it work with the rest of my choices?

reply share thread